US: Craft rise fails to spur US beer volumes - figures
Craft beer helped push up volumes in 2012
Beer volumes in the US dropped back to negative last year despite continued craft beer gains, new figures have shown.
The beer category fell by 1.6% to 2.8bn 2.25-gallon cases, according to the Beverage Information Group's Handbook Advance 2014, released yesterday (February 10). The decrease came as wine and spirits posted volumes growth, alongside “positive results” in craft beer, the Beverage Information Group (BIG) said.
"Craft beer's momentum continues to build with no signs of slowing," said Adam Rogers, manager of information services for the Beverage Information Group. "Today's consumer seeks a brew that is distinctive, region-based and high-quality with a compelling story, and craft breweries are more than willing to provide it.”
In 2012, BIG found that increased sales in higher-priced beers halted a three-year downturn in the US beer industry as overall volumes increased by 1%.
Wine volumes increased for the 20th consecutive year in 2013, up 2.2%, to 326m nine-litre cases, BIG said yesterday. Distilled spirits enjoyed its 17th year of growth, up 2.4%, BIG said without giving volumes figures.
“Continued interest in super-premium products, increased advertising and modernization of spirits laws contributed to this (spirits) growth,” the group added.
Sectors: Beer & cider
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020