UPDATE: US: Craft brewer Fordham defends A-B tie-up
The chief executive of Fordham Brewing Co. has said that it was vital for the US niche brewer to join forces with Anheuser-Busch in a growing but competitive craft beer segment.
Fordham CEO Bill Muehlhauser was speaking after the brewer said it would team up with the Budweiser brewing giant to buy rival craft brewer Old Dominion Brewing Co.
Fordham and A-B have formed a joint venture Coastal Brewing Co. to seal the acquisition of Old Dominion, a craft brewer based in the state of Virginia.
Over the last decade, craft beers have enjoyed a renaissance among US beer drinkers with sales rising 12% in 2006. However, more brewers, including the giants of the US beer industry, are looking to tap into that growth and traditional craft brewers are looking at ways to grab share of a competitive segment.
Muehlhauser told just-drinks today (5 March) that Fordham and Old Dominion beer brands stand to benefit from A-B's "Cadillac of a distribution system".
"It's difficult for small brewers with limited budgets to fund marketing and advertising. How you get beer to market gets more difficult as the market becomes more competitive," Muehlhauser said.
Fordham will hold a 51% stake in Coastal, which Muehlhauser will head as managing partner. A-B will hold the remaining 49% share and take charge of distributing brands including Fordham Copperhead and Old Dominion Ale.
Muehlhauser said the Coastal venture was only formed to secure the takeover of Old Dominion and that no further acquisitions are planned. He added that the venture would first focus on growing sales in Maryland, Virginia and Washington D.C. before expanding into other markets along the east coast of the US.
The combined sales of Old Dominion and Fordham stand at around 30,000 barrels a year. The combined capacity of the two breweries is around 90,000 barrels.
"We have a lot of room to grow before we start knocking out walls," Muehlhauser said.
Beer appears to be the alcoholic drink of choice in the developing BRIC markets, according to a series of recent reports....
Anheuser-Busch lobbied the federal government on US trade legislation to the tune of US$1.6m in the first six months of this year, according to public records....
Tsingtao Brewery has posted a healthy climb in profits for the first half of this year....
Anheuser-Busch has taken on the distribution and marketing of BORBA's drinkable skincare line across the US and around the world....
The chief legal officers from 29 states have united to condemn alcoholic energy drinks....
Anheuser-Busch has quashed rumours that it has plans to build a second brewery in India....
China's leading beer producer Tsingtao Brewery is planning to increase its production capacity by 1m tons by the end of 2007, according to local reports....
The drinks industry has come under attack in the US for supposedly using energy drinks to mask the effect of alcohol....
- Analysis - SABMiller to add bolt-ons in Africa?
- A-B InBev's Move on Tennent's Super Makes Sense
- India: Everyone's Favourite Spirits Market
- Brand Diversification Driving Craft Brewery Growth
- Analysis - Stock Spirits: Poland's number one
- Diageo scraps Arthur's Day, but singer left sad
- William Grant sinks GBP185,000 into "No" camp
- PepsiCo CEO sees "profound" change in US consumers
- SodaStream silent on John Lewis pullout in UK
- William Grant & Sons boosts Travel Retail team