US: Craft Brew Alliance warns of "unprecedented competition" as FY profits dip
- FY net profits slide by 74% to US$2.5m
- Net sales rise by 13% to $169.3m
- Operating profits drop 5.7% to $5.1m
- Kona brand to be rolled-out to new markets in 2013
CBA says 2013 will be "tempered by unprecedented competition" in the craft beer sector
Craft Brew Alliance (CBA) has reported a marked drop in full-year profits and warned that its performance this year will be weakened by “unprecedented competition” in the sub-category.
Net profits in the 12 months to the end of December plunged by 74% to US$2.5m, the Pacifice north-west brewing alliance said late yesterday (12 March). Sales in the period were up by 13% to $169.3m.
Operating profits in the 12 months fell by 5.7% to $5.1m.
The slide is partly due to a difficult 2011 comparative, which was boosted by the sale of its 42% stake in Fulton Street Brewery, also known as Goose Island, to Anheuser-Busch InBev. Last year also saw around $9.1m of capital expenditure on capacity, efficiency and “quality initiatives”, CBA said.
Fourth-quarter net profits, meanwhile, rose by 32% to $0.3m, as sales increased by 20% to 41.9m. Operating profits in the three months leapt by 82% to $0.9m.
Looking ahead, Terry Michaelson, CBA's CEO, said the company expects “meaningful growth” from sales and profits in 2013 helped by its “portfolio strategy, operating expense leverage and SG&A leverage”. This will include expansion into new markets for its Kona brand and international expansion for “all brand families”.
He added: “We expect strong growth tempered by unprecedented competition.”
The company also said its contract brewing income for 2013 will be around half of 2012's due to a "mutual decision to unwind the Goose Island contract brewing arrangement" with Anheuser-Busch InBev.
To read CBA's full statement, click here
MillerCoors' plans to launch a new, high-strength "golden" lager may not be surprising on one level, but the wider trend is puzzling....
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Pernod Ricard's FY fiscal-2015 - Preview
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research