US: Craft Brew Alliance hires ex-Heineken exec as CMO
The group is eyeing growth with the appointment of a CMO
Craft Brew Alliance (CBA) has recruited a former Heineken executive as its chief marketing officer, a newly-created role.
Ken Kunze will start with the Pacific north-west brewing group on Monday (4 November), it announced late yesterday (29 October). Kunze, most recently CMO at PepsiCo and Strauss JV, Sabra Dipping Company, will report to CBA's commercial operations president Andy Thomas.
Kunze, who was also previously Heineken's US marketing chief, is charged with overseeing CBA's portfolio, including Widmer Brothers Brewing, Redhook Brewing, Kona Brewing Co, Omission and Square Mile Cider Company.
Thomas said: “With Ken on board, we are further reinforcing our commitment to finding new and exciting ways to bring our brands to life and advance our competitive edge as the only company to combine the soul of a craft brewer with the body of a big brewer.”
Kunze said: “Consumers today are looking for flavour in everything they consume, and they are seeking out brands with interesting stories.”
He added: "CBA is a unique opportunity, and the portfolio is well-positioned for growth.”
In August, the company reported a rise in sales but remained in the red. CBA will announce its third-quarter numbers next Thursday (7 November).
Some years ago I was told that the health lobbyists who had helped deliver England and Wales' smoking ban had switched their attention to scoring a similar 'victory' on alcohol. ...
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- William Grant upgrades Glenfiddich Cask Collection
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends