JAPAN: Craft beers hit Europe through Number One Drinks
One of the Baird beers being shipped to Europe
Distributor Number One Drinks Company is targeting European markets with its portfolio of Japanese craft beers.
Six beers from Numazu-based Baird Brewing Company, five in bottled format and one in keg, are now being shipped to the UK and sold through Utobeer, the distributor said earlier this week. The beers are: Rising Sun Pale Ale (5.3%), Red Rose Amber Ale (5.8%), Numaza Lager (5.4%), Shimaguni Stout (4.6%), Teikoku IPA (6.5%) and Suruga Bay Imperial IPA (7.8%).
Five bottled beers from Osaka-based Minoh brewery are also being sold by Utobeer.
Number One Drinks is a specialist distributor of Japanese whisky, but on its new venture, a spokesperson told just-drinks: "It's early days, but we feel there is definitely an opportunity to be had (in Europe) with the rise in popularity of Japanese culture."
In Sweden, five beers from Baird's range also went on sale through the state-run Systembolaget last month, the spokesperson confirmed.
The company is also targeting Norway and France with its range of Japanese beers.
Products from the distributor's craft beer range have been on sale in Taiwan for the past six months.
David Croll, Number One Drinks' Asia MD, said: “The craft beer revolution is in full swing in Japan."
For whisky, Number One Drinks holds exclusive worldwide distribution rights for Chichibu, Hanyu and Karuizawa.
Sectors: Beer & cider
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Asahi Group lifts 2016 sales, profits
- Brown-Forman launches brand nutrition website
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers