US: Craft beers cut into premium rivals' on-trade sales - study
Craft beer is continuing to make inroads in the US on-trade
Craft beers are taking sales from premium and import beers in the US on-trade, a new study claims.
In the first nine months of this year, the craft sector increased sales in bars and restaurants by 10.7% compared to the same period last year, according to statistics from GuestMetrics, released today (26 November). Meanwhile, imports declined by 1.3%, premium light beers by 1.6% and premium regular beers by 2.9%, the study said.
“This large disparity in growth rates led to fairly rapid shifts in market share in the on-premise space, with craft beer winning share directly at the expense of premium and import brands,” GuestMetrics CEO Bill Pecoriello said.
Pecoriello said craft beers gained 220 basis points in US on-trade market share, mostly taken from premium and import beers, over the same nine-month period.
The rise in popularity of craft beer in the US has seen Anheuser-Busch InBev announce it is establishing a craft beer advisory board, which will include Goose Island founder & CEO John Hall, who is stepping down at the A-B InBev-owned brewer.
This month, Tom Vierhile from Datamonitor considers the recent swathe of NPD in the shandy - or radler - sub-category....
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much Needed Stability?
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- A Dangerous World and the Threat to Beverages
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Pernod unveils Jameson bottle for St Patrick's Day
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- SABMiller beer volumes fall as China holds back Q3
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets