US: Craft beers cut into premium rivals' on-trade sales - study
Craft beer is continuing to make inroads in the US on-trade
Craft beers are taking sales from premium and import beers in the US on-trade, a new study claims.
In the first nine months of this year, the craft sector increased sales in bars and restaurants by 10.7% compared to the same period last year, according to statistics from GuestMetrics, released today (26 November). Meanwhile, imports declined by 1.3%, premium light beers by 1.6% and premium regular beers by 2.9%, the study said.
“This large disparity in growth rates led to fairly rapid shifts in market share in the on-premise space, with craft beer winning share directly at the expense of premium and import brands,” GuestMetrics CEO Bill Pecoriello said.
Pecoriello said craft beers gained 220 basis points in US on-trade market share, mostly taken from premium and import beers, over the same nine-month period.
The rise in popularity of craft beer in the US has seen Anheuser-Busch InBev announce it is establishing a craft beer advisory board, which will include Goose Island founder & CEO John Hall, who is stepping down at the A-B InBev-owned brewer.
This month, Tom Vierhile from Datamonitor considers the recent swathe of NPD in the shandy - or radler - sub-category....
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- It's not all bad for Diageo - Analysis
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Brand
- Diageo upbeat on Scotch prospects
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Tesco pulls small carton-size Ribena, Rubicon, Cap
- Whyte & Mackay brings RumChata to UK
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research