US: Craft beer export volumes boosted by Asia-Pacific
US craft beers are performing strongly overseas
US craft beer is repeating its domestic success overseas, with latest figures showing that export volumes rose 49% last year.
The segment saw total exports reach 282,526 barrels in 2013, an estimated US$73m in sales, the Brewers Association (BA), which represents US independent brewers, revealed today (March 24). Canada remains the US craft beer industry's biggest market, where volumes rose by 92% in 2013 to 131,511 barrels. The next two biggest markets are Sweden and the UK.
US craft brewers also saw significant growth in the Asia-Pacific region. Volumes in Singapore rose by 379%, by 150% in Hong King and in Thailand by 99%.
“New distribution agreements for US breweries throughout Europe and Asia are helping to grow exports," said Bob Pease, the BA's COO.
He added: “With more beer exported around the world, the challenge now is to ensure that beer quality is preserved in all cases, so consumers are assured a positive experience.”
Last week, the group revealed that domestic US craft beer volumes in 2013 rose by 18%, while value sales climbed by 20% to US$14.3bn.
To read the first part of an exclusive just-drinks interview with Sierra Nevada founder Ken Grossman, click here
Sectors: Beer & cider
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Making consumers the centre of your business
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Former Pernod Ricard exec joins Wakefield Wines
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research