CHINA: Crackdown to cut baijiu profits by one-fifth - survey
Baijiu makers should brace for a 20% drop in profits, at least, as the Chinese Government's corruption crackdown curbs corporate entertainment budgets, according to a new report.
The white spirit, which accounts for 99% of all spirit sales in China, has been hardest hit by the crackdown, according to the DDMA China Market Snapshot Report, released yesterday (22 July). In a survey of 103 corporate firms, 35% said they were buying less baijiu for entertaining compared to 7% who were cutting wine costs and 1% on international spirits.
DDMA said the figures translate to a “minimum reduction” of 20% in the profits of leading Chinese baijiu companies. According to DDMA, 70% of baijiu makers' profits come from corporate expenditure and gifting.
The survey, which was conducted last month, also found that 40% of Chinese companies said they are reducing corporate entertainment expenditure by buying less alcohol.
The introduction of a clampdown on gifting to civil servants and ban on alcohol at luxury banquets, introduced late last year, has hit the performance of drinks compaines in China, including Pernod Ricard and Diageo.
Business Monitor International's France Food and Drink Report provides industry professionals and strategists, corporate analysts, food and drink associations, government departments and regulatory bo...
Eyebrows rose earlier this week at the US$16bn that Suntory is set to pay for Beam Inc. At 20 times the company's EBITDA, the transaction is at the more expensive end of the scale. Here, courtesy of a...
The rate of consolidation in the spirits category is markedly slower than that of many consumer industries. So, could the news this week that Suntory is set to buy Beam Inc trigger a wave of M&A? Past...
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research