CHINA: Crackdown to cut baijiu profits by one-fifth - survey
Baijiu makers should brace for a 20% drop in profits, at least, as the Chinese Government's corruption crackdown curbs corporate entertainment budgets, according to a new report.
The white spirit, which accounts for 99% of all spirit sales in China, has been hardest hit by the crackdown, according to the DDMA China Market Snapshot Report, released yesterday (22 July). In a survey of 103 corporate firms, 35% said they were buying less baijiu for entertaining compared to 7% who were cutting wine costs and 1% on international spirits.
DDMA said the figures translate to a “minimum reduction” of 20% in the profits of leading Chinese baijiu companies. According to DDMA, 70% of baijiu makers' profits come from corporate expenditure and gifting.
The survey, which was conducted last month, also found that 40% of Chinese companies said they are reducing corporate entertainment expenditure by buying less alcohol.
The introduction of a clampdown on gifting to civil servants and ban on alcohol at luxury banquets, introduced late last year, has hit the performance of drinks compaines in China, including Pernod Ricard and Diageo.
Business Monitor International's France Food and Drink Report provides industry professionals and strategists, corporate analysts, food and drink associations, government departments and regulatory bo...
Eyebrows rose earlier this week at the US$16bn that Suntory is set to pay for Beam Inc. At 20 times the company's EBITDA, the transaction is at the more expensive end of the scale. Here, courtesy of a...
The rate of consolidation in the spirits category is markedly slower than that of many consumer industries. So, could the news this week that Suntory is set to buy Beam Inc trigger a wave of M&A? Past...
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- Diageo strengthens Charmer Sunbelt distribution
- Heineken adds to UK on-trade footprint
- Brewers of Europe recruits communications director
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research