USA: Court of Master Sommeliers Announces Two New American Master Sommeliers
"We're very proud to welcome these two new American Masters to our organization," said Evan Goldstein, Chairman of the American Chapter of the Court of Master Sommeliers. "Ken Fredrickson and Greg Tresner came through with outstanding performances in this rigorous last stage of the Master Sommelier program."
The new American Master Sommeliers are Ken Fredrickson, from Restaurant Terroir in Jackson, Wyoming and Greg Tresner, from Mary Elaine's at The Phoenician in Scottsdale Arizona. "This recognition marks a high point in my career, and I am honored to be considered part of such a distinguished group," said Tresner. "The three-day exam covered theory, tasting and service, and included some heady questions on topics such as grape variety and soil conditions in obscure places and proper service methods for decanting wines."
Both Tresner and Fredrickson are the first to be awarded the internationally recognized diploma and title of Master Sommelier in their respective states. They will join forces to increase the number of Master Sommeliers in the United States to 42, and 97 in the world. Of the American Master Sommeliers, 34 are men and 8 are women.
The exam is administered in three sections: Theory, Tasting, and Practical Service. Passing scores in all three sections are required to earn the Master Sommelier diploma. Once a candidate passes a portion of the exam for the first time, he or she has two years or two attempts to pass the remaining sections.
The Court of Master Sommeliers was established in England in 1977 to encourage improved standards of beverage service knowledge in restaurants and hotels. The title Master Sommelier marks the highest recognition of wine, liquor, and beverage service abilities and professionalism in the hospitality trade worldwide. Education was then, and remains today, the Court's charter. There are three stages involved in attaining the top qualifications of Master Sommelier: Basic Certificate Course; Advanced Sommelier Course; and Master Sommelier Diploma.
To learn more about the Court of Master Sommeliers, please call or write:
The Court of Master Sommeliers
1200 Jefferson Street
Napa, CA 94559
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Can Coca-Cola fuel SABMiller's soft drinks story?
- Is “Craft” the Next Big Thing for Soft Drinks?
- Petropolis Finally Moving into SABMiller's View?
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Diageo confirms Australia abv drops
- Pernod launches online Ballantine's "experiment"
- Global vodka sales slip in 2013 - research
- SABMiller returns to Brazil with Petropolis tie-up
- Smirnoff tops UK shopping list - figures
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018