PORTUGAL: Court of Appeal favours Budejovicky Budvar over Anheuser-Busch InBev
Budejovicky Budvar hails from Budejovice, formerly known as Budweis, in Czech
The country's Court of Appeal found in favour of the Czech state-owned brewer earlier this week. “There is no legal remedy against the ruling of the Court of Appeal,” Budvar said late yesterday (26 June).
In 2001, A-B InBev applied to register four trademarks in Portugal, a move that was contested by Budvar. The Portuguese Trademark office found in favour of Budvar in 2003, a move that A-B InBev appealed with the Commercial Court of Portugal. When the Commercial Court dismissed the appeal late last year, A-B InBev applied to the Court of Appeal in Lisbon, which handed down its final ruling this week.
A-B InBev will continue to sell its beer in Portugal under the name 'Bud'.
The legal row between Budvar and A-B InBev over the term 'Budweiser' has been running since 1907. Budvar's brewery is located in the Czech town of Budejovice, the previous German name of which was Budweis.
“During 2000 to 2013,” Budvar said, “184 legal disputes and administrative procedures were finalised, out of which 125 ended in favour of Budweiser Budvar and ten in conciliation or a draw.”
Finding a way to get the people of Latin America to drink more beer is the latest challenge for SABMiller....
There was general agreement among analysts that Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q1 results yesterday were better than expected....
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- The Cognac Category - Everything you need to know
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- High-end Cognac making recovery in China - Pernod
- "Beer and weed are complements" - analyst
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends