PORTUGAL: Court of Appeal favours Budejovicky Budvar over Anheuser-Busch InBev
Budejovicky Budvar hails from Budejovice, formerly known as Budweis, in Czech
The country's Court of Appeal found in favour of the Czech state-owned brewer earlier this week. “There is no legal remedy against the ruling of the Court of Appeal,” Budvar said late yesterday (26 June).
In 2001, A-B InBev applied to register four trademarks in Portugal, a move that was contested by Budvar. The Portuguese Trademark office found in favour of Budvar in 2003, a move that A-B InBev appealed with the Commercial Court of Portugal. When the Commercial Court dismissed the appeal late last year, A-B InBev applied to the Court of Appeal in Lisbon, which handed down its final ruling this week.
A-B InBev will continue to sell its beer in Portugal under the name 'Bud'.
The legal row between Budvar and A-B InBev over the term 'Budweiser' has been running since 1907. Budvar's brewery is located in the Czech town of Budejovice, the previous German name of which was Budweis.
“During 2000 to 2013,” Budvar said, “184 legal disputes and administrative procedures were finalised, out of which 125 ended in favour of Budweiser Budvar and ten in conciliation or a draw.”
Anheuser-Busch InBev SA/NV - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and servi...
Anheuser-Busch InBev Germany’s strategic direction is mainly in line with the international parent company and the company does not have a lot of room for self-governance. Partial autonomy is granted,...
Budejovicky Budvar will focus on remaining a key player within domestic lager via promotions and the wider distribution of domestic lager brands Pardal and Pardal Echt. It is probable that it will int...
Anheuser-Busch InBev (A-B InBev) is facing challenges in the mature US beer category by focusing on premium and craft beer. As the US Justice Department precluded A-B InBev from controlling the lucrat...
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- CCE head shines light on price talks
- Comment - A New Age of VR Marketing?
- Interview: Head brewer at Hall & Woodhouse
- Diageo considers wine operations sale
- Bacardi opens Dewar’s Travel Retail whisky store
- NPD: Bacardi's Bacardi Carta Fuego
- Innis & Gunn looks to build first brewery
- A-B InBev "regrets" Bud Light bottle message
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research