PHILIPPINES: Court clears Pepsi on promo fiasco
The Philippine Supreme Court has cleared PepsiCo of any liability in a promotional fiasco that led to lawsuits and even riots 14 years ago.
In the 1992 "Number Fever" sales campaign, local bottler Pepsi Cola Philippines offered prizes of up to PHP1m (US$18,800) for holders of bottle caps with winning numbers.
When the number "349" was announced, tens of thousands of consumers claimed the prizes, but Pepsi refused to pay all of them, saying the caps did not contain the proper security codes. Pepsi said a computer glitch picked the number by mistake.
The court decision found no proof of negligence by Pepsi and said the company should not be held liable for damages. "The issues surrounding the '349' incident have been laid to rest and must no longer be disturbed in this decision," the court said, according to an Associated Press report yesterday (20 June).
Pepsi's refusal to pay also sparked riots and calls for a boycott, the report said. At least 37 company trucks were burned in attacks, including a grenade blast that killed three people in the southern city of Davao.
Coca-Cola and PepsiCo are looking to expand their presence in the European water market, where they both lag some way behind market leaders Danone and Nestlé. Coca-Cola has made a number of important ...
Coca-Cola Co. and PepsiCo received temporary relief today (12 December) in India's pesticides row when the country's Supreme Court delayed the verdict in the controversial contamination case for two m...
Full-sugar carbonated soft drinks will be banned from New Zealand's secondary schools in three years, following an agreement between the country's government, Coca-Cola Amatil and PepsiCo's local dist...
The case of a former Coca-Cola employee accused of trying to sell company secrets to PepsiCo is heating up ahead of the impending trial....
Coca-Cola Co has failed to register its Ipsei brand as a UK registered trademark amid objections that it sounds too similar that of rival brand Pepsi....
PepsiAmericas has restructured its sales force in the US as it looks to make drive efficiencies from the business across the country....
PepsiCo has received US antitrust clearance to buy Naked Juice Co. from private equity firm North Castle Partners....
The Indian state of Kerala is refusing to give up in its bid to keep its ban on Coca-Cola and PepsiCo drinks over allegations they contained pesticides....
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q3 & YTD
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets