US: Court agrees with NYC soda ban dismissal
The bid to enact the ban has failed so far
New York City's proposed ban on large sugary soft drinks has been struck another blow after an appeals court upheld an earlier decision dismissing the measures.
The appeal division of New York state's Supreme Court yesterday (30 July) agreed with the lower court's ruling in March to block the planned ban on high-sugar soft drinks bigger than 16oz (47.3cl). Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s proposal was originally thrown out on the basis the rules were “arbitrary and capricious”, but this was subsequently challenged.
Yesterday's ruling said that New York's Board of Health “overstepped the boundaries of its lawfully delegated authority” in trying to bring in the ban. “It therefore violated the state principle of separation of powers,” the court added.
In a statement on its website, the American Beverage Association said: "We are pleased that the lower court’s decision was upheld. With this ruling behind us, we look forward to collaborating with city leaders on solutions that will have a meaningful and lasting impact on the people of New York City."
However, this may not be the end of the matter. The city's authorities plan to appeal to New York State's highest appellate court, the Court of Appeals, according to the New York Times.
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q4 & FY
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Asahi Beverages CEO to step down - report
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report