US: Court agrees with NYC soda ban dismissal
The bid to enact the ban has failed so far
New York City's proposed ban on large sugary soft drinks has been struck another blow after an appeals court upheld an earlier decision dismissing the measures.
The appeal division of New York state's Supreme Court yesterday (30 July) agreed with the lower court's ruling in March to block the planned ban on high-sugar soft drinks bigger than 16oz (47.3cl). Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s proposal was originally thrown out on the basis the rules were “arbitrary and capricious”, but this was subsequently challenged.
Yesterday's ruling said that New York's Board of Health “overstepped the boundaries of its lawfully delegated authority” in trying to bring in the ban. “It therefore violated the state principle of separation of powers,” the court added.
In a statement on its website, the American Beverage Association said: "We are pleased that the lower court’s decision was upheld. With this ruling behind us, we look forward to collaborating with city leaders on solutions that will have a meaningful and lasting impact on the people of New York City."
However, this may not be the end of the matter. The city's authorities plan to appeal to New York State's highest appellate court, the Court of Appeals, according to the New York Times.
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Craft, imports near 50% share in US on-trade
- Beam Suntory's Laphroaig Brodir - NPD
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts