MEXICO: Court agrees to hear SABMiller appeal
The SABMiller subsidiary is fighting the settlement
Mexico's Federal Court has agreed to consider Miller Trading Company's appeal over a competition ruling on the country's beer market, according to the brewer.
The case centres on Miller's allegations of anti-competitive behaviour by Mexico's market leaders - Heineken-owned Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma and Grupo Modelo. After a three-year probe, the Mexican Federal Trade Commission last month approved commitments made by the two brewers.
But SABMiller subsidiary, Miller Trading Company, lodged an appeal against the ruling and said today (7 August) Mexico's Federal District Court has agreed to examine its arguments.
In a statement, the company claimed: "The limited impact of the settlement commitments will result in the continued suppression of free competition and severely restrict consumer choice."
Armando Valenzuela, Miller Trading Company's Mexico MD added: “This appeal is an important first step in the legal process that will hopefully open the Mexican beer market to genuine competition and give Mexican consumers the variety and choice that is available in other markets."
Yesterday, SABMiller's US JV with Molson Coors, MillerCoors, reported a single-digit drop in first-half profits, as sales were flat and volumes down.
Heineken, the world’s third largest brewer and leading cider producer, continued its aggressive acquisitive expansion in 2012 with the purchase of Asia Pacific Breweries. This profile considers the ex...
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- Analysis - Cider's Campaign Gains
- Analysis - SABMiller's LatAm aim? Drink more beer
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Pernod Ricard appoints Absolut Vodka VP
- Beam Suntory to re-package Courvoisier Cognac
- Edrington posts FY profits drop
- TWE, Pernod hail China-Aus FTA
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beer, 2014 and the future