MEXICO: Court agrees to hear SABMiller appeal
The SABMiller subsidiary is fighting the settlement
Mexico's Federal Court has agreed to consider Miller Trading Company's appeal over a competition ruling on the country's beer market, according to the brewer.
The case centres on Miller's allegations of anti-competitive behaviour by Mexico's market leaders - Heineken-owned Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma and Grupo Modelo. After a three-year probe, the Mexican Federal Trade Commission last month approved commitments made by the two brewers.
But SABMiller subsidiary, Miller Trading Company, lodged an appeal against the ruling and said today (7 August) Mexico's Federal District Court has agreed to examine its arguments.
In a statement, the company claimed: "The limited impact of the settlement commitments will result in the continued suppression of free competition and severely restrict consumer choice."
Armando Valenzuela, Miller Trading Company's Mexico MD added: “This appeal is an important first step in the legal process that will hopefully open the Mexican beer market to genuine competition and give Mexican consumers the variety and choice that is available in other markets."
Yesterday, SABMiller's US JV with Molson Coors, MillerCoors, reported a single-digit drop in first-half profits, as sales were flat and volumes down.
- Winners & losers of AB InBev's SABMiller takeover
- Can Bacardi take its rum back to the party?
- ABInBev on the verge of SABMiller buy? - Comment
- What Trans-Pacific Partnership means for drinks
- How big is MegaBrew? ABI/SAB market share, brands
- Anheuser-Busch InBev wins SABMiller's hand
- A-B InBev raises SABMiller offer to GBP70.5bn
- Carlsberg UK chief James Lousada quits
- Ketel One co-owner now Bols' largest shareholder
- Beam Suntory CMO to stand down
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Anheuser-Busch InBev SA/NV - Strategy and SWOT Report