MEXICO: Court agrees to hear SABMiller appeal
The SABMiller subsidiary is fighting the settlement
Mexico's Federal Court has agreed to consider Miller Trading Company's appeal over a competition ruling on the country's beer market, according to the brewer.
The case centres on Miller's allegations of anti-competitive behaviour by Mexico's market leaders - Heineken-owned Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma and Grupo Modelo. After a three-year probe, the Mexican Federal Trade Commission last month approved commitments made by the two brewers.
But SABMiller subsidiary, Miller Trading Company, lodged an appeal against the ruling and said today (7 August) Mexico's Federal District Court has agreed to examine its arguments.
In a statement, the company claimed: "The limited impact of the settlement commitments will result in the continued suppression of free competition and severely restrict consumer choice."
Armando Valenzuela, Miller Trading Company's Mexico MD added: “This appeal is an important first step in the legal process that will hopefully open the Mexican beer market to genuine competition and give Mexican consumers the variety and choice that is available in other markets."
Yesterday, SABMiller's US JV with Molson Coors, MillerCoors, reported a single-digit drop in first-half profits, as sales were flat and volumes down.
The world’s second largest brewer, SABMiller’s geographic profile provides a strong platform from which to exploit forecast volume growth in emerging markets. This profile analyses the company’s emplo...
Heineken, the world’s third largest brewer and leading cider producer, continued its aggressive acquisitive expansion in 2012 with the purchase of Asia Pacific Breweries. This profile considers the ex...
Heineken is making efforts to improve its business in the key US market and support sluggish consumption through product innovation, including Indio in June 2012 and Amstel Wheat and Tecate Michelada ...
The NAFTA Beer industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, retail market size (value and volume 2007-11, and forecast to 2016). The pro...
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- US spirits pricing went "a little high" - Diageo
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Carlsberg freezes Russia salaries, new hires
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research