MEXICO: Court agrees to hear SABMiller appeal
The SABMiller subsidiary is fighting the settlement
Mexico's Federal Court has agreed to consider Miller Trading Company's appeal over a competition ruling on the country's beer market, according to the brewer.
The case centres on Miller's allegations of anti-competitive behaviour by Mexico's market leaders - Heineken-owned Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma and Grupo Modelo. After a three-year probe, the Mexican Federal Trade Commission last month approved commitments made by the two brewers.
But SABMiller subsidiary, Miller Trading Company, lodged an appeal against the ruling and said today (7 August) Mexico's Federal District Court has agreed to examine its arguments.
In a statement, the company claimed: "The limited impact of the settlement commitments will result in the continued suppression of free competition and severely restrict consumer choice."
Armando Valenzuela, Miller Trading Company's Mexico MD added: “This appeal is an important first step in the legal process that will hopefully open the Mexican beer market to genuine competition and give Mexican consumers the variety and choice that is available in other markets."
Yesterday, SABMiller's US JV with Molson Coors, MillerCoors, reported a single-digit drop in first-half profits, as sales were flat and volumes down.
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Amazon adds alcohol to one-hour delivery service
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research