MEXICO: Court agrees to hear SABMiller appeal
The SABMiller subsidiary is fighting the settlement
Mexico's Federal Court has agreed to consider Miller Trading Company's appeal over a competition ruling on the country's beer market, according to the brewer.
The case centres on Miller's allegations of anti-competitive behaviour by Mexico's market leaders - Heineken-owned Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma and Grupo Modelo. After a three-year probe, the Mexican Federal Trade Commission last month approved commitments made by the two brewers.
But SABMiller subsidiary, Miller Trading Company, lodged an appeal against the ruling and said today (7 August) Mexico's Federal District Court has agreed to examine its arguments.
In a statement, the company claimed: "The limited impact of the settlement commitments will result in the continued suppression of free competition and severely restrict consumer choice."
Armando Valenzuela, Miller Trading Company's Mexico MD added: “This appeal is an important first step in the legal process that will hopefully open the Mexican beer market to genuine competition and give Mexican consumers the variety and choice that is available in other markets."
Yesterday, SABMiller's US JV with Molson Coors, MillerCoors, reported a single-digit drop in first-half profits, as sales were flat and volumes down.
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- Diageo, Heineken and NBL in South Africa & Namibia
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Pernod launches pomegranate whisky drink
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research