EU: Council baulks at Finnish vodka compromise
A compromise solution to the ongoing battle over the definition of vodka in the EU has been tabled.
At an EU Council meeting earlier this week, Finland, which holds the rotating EU presidency, proposed a compromise between the warring factions over how vodka should be labelled. The proposal would allow for two categories of vodka to be sold in the EU.
A product marked 'vodka', would have to be made from traditional ingredients, such as "cereals, potatoes and/or molasses from sugar beet". Meanwhile, a product marked "vodka made/distilled from…" a certain product, would apply for a vodka-style drink made from anything else.
"The Presidency noted that a broad majority within the Council could support the general approach on the proposal for a regulation on the definition, description, presentation and labelling of spirit drinks, as a preliminary basis for discussions with the European Parliament," the minutes of the meeting noted.
In relation to vodka, however, agreement could not be reached and the Council requested legal advice on the Finnish proposal before further discussions take place, most likely under the German Presidency next year. The next move will be for the Council to discuss the issue with the European Parliament, which has to approve the deal.
Opinion has been split between some member states, including Poland, Finland and Sweden, who want vodka protected as a traditional spirit made only from grain or potatoes, and other interested parties who feel that vodka should be made from any raw material.
Alizé has introduced a new rose blend to its line-up of flavoured liqueurs....
Skyy Vodka has unveiled a tie-up with The Independent Film Channel (IFC) in the US....
Castle Brands has launched a website for its flagship Boru Vodka brand....
Central European Distribution Corporation is looking to buy an unnamed drinks distributor in Poland....
A leading Bacardi executive has called on the Scotch whisky industry to radically rethink its rules on the definitions of Scotch whisky, questioning whether the strict guidelines were hindering Scotch...
Rémy Cointreau has posted a slight lift in full-year turnover....
Beam Global Spirits & Wine has announced a revamp of its Gilbey's vodka and Ronrico rum brands in the US....
Diageo is hoping to draw a better consumer understanding of where its Smirnoff vodka brand comes from. The company, which unveiled a multi-platform global campaign for the vodka yesterday (9 April), i...
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- It's not all bad for Diageo - Analysis
- Diageo, Heineken and NBL in South Africa & Namibia
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Tesco pulls small carton-size Ribena, Rubicon, Cap
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research