US/CANADA: Cott Corp faces presence reduction at Wal-Mart
Cott Corporation is facing the threat of "significant" space re-allocation for its retailer brand soft drinks at US retail behemoth Wal-Mart.
Cott confirmed today (26 February) that it has received notice of a reduction in shelf space and merchandising support for Wal-Mart's private label carbonated soft drinks in the US, including Sam's Choice, which would be "significant to Cott's business plans", the company said.
The Canada-based soft drinks manufacturer was responding to media reports earlier this week claiming that it is set to lose shelf space at Wal-Mart.
"The 2008 programmes have not yet been finalised and Cott is still actively negotiating with Wal-Mart appropriate space allocation and other merchandising programmes associated with Sam's Choice brands," the company said.
Cott added that it was "fully committed to deploying the necessary efforts to maintain a mutually satisfactory relationship for the long-term".
Wal-Mart is Cott's biggest customer.
Earlier this month, Cott posted a leap in full-year net loss for 2007, coming in at US$73.1m from losses of $17.5m in 2006. The losses came despite flat sales last year of $1.78bn from $1.77bn the year previous.
Cott Corporation has posted a slide in sales and a net loss for its latest quarter....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week included news on V&S and A-B and cost pressures at Cott, whilst whisky dominated the spirits headlines....
Cott Corporation has lined up price increases in the UK due to "escalating input costs"....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Pernod Ricard sends Martell Mumm PJ head to Asia
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research