Cotswolds Distillery CEO co-creates UK craft spirits trade body
A new trade body for craft spirits producers has been established in the UK in a bid to promote the interests of artisanal distillers.
The British Distillers Alliance (BDA) was co-created by Cotswolds Distillery CEO Daniel Szor. It is coordinated by excise duty consultant Alan Powell.
"This is something which is long overdue - our young, dynamic and fast-growing industry desperately needs a voice in Westminster and with HMRC [the UK's tax office], among others," said Szor. "We are an extremely positive force for employment, exports and tourism, and our story needs to be heard."
Powell said the BDA had received a positive response from the trade, as well as the support of the chairman of the Scottish Craft Distillers Association. He told just-drinks that so far, 26 people have agreed to sign up. According to the website, membership is "currently free and aimed at small and start-up distillers and associated businesses".
Last month, research from Mintel suggested that the number of craft spirits launches around the world leapt by 265% between 2011 and 2015.
Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
The recent growth trajectory of non-Scotch whiskies shows no sign of waning in the 2015-20 period, with The IWSR predicting extra sales of some 74m cases over the period. Both US and Irish whiskey ben...read more
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Is sustainability now as important as financials?
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Diageo unveils Blender's Batch in the US
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Stock Spirits, Distell add UK to partnership
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirit Market in the Top 5 European Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts