FRANCE: Cotes-de-Provence growers gain AOC label
Winegrowers on the southern slopes of Mount St Victoire, near Aix-en-Provence, are celebrating the creation of their own AOC.
The AOC is initially limited to rosés which represent 75% of production and reds (15%). These wines were previously classed as côtes-de-provence.
Other côtes-de-provence are also working towards AOC classification, such as La Londe, Hyeres and Pierrefeu.
The search for a high quality label for Provence wines is being driven by growers' expectations of greater competition ahead in the market for rosés. These represent around 80% of Provence's entire wine production and have enjoyed a steady growth in sales in the past few years in sharp contrast to the deep slump affecting the majority of French red and white wines.
Our series of harvest reports continues with a look at this year's vintage in four more of France's key wine-growing regions. Lynne Parry assesses the harvest in Burgundy and Beaujolais, while Stuart ...
In this month's Just the Answer, Christian Delpeuch, president of the CIVB (Conseil Interprofessionnel du Vin de Bordeaux), discusses how Bordeaux is tackling over-production and innovating to compete...
Interest gathers for Taittinger and Lanson. In stark contrast to most of the French wine industry, sales of Champagne have been growing steadily and it is no surprise to find that the possible sale of...
The powerful Bordeaux et Bordeaux supérieur wine union has voted to block bulk sales of wine when prices fall below EUR1,000 (US$1,178) a barrel....
Five candidates out of a total of 15 have been short-listed for the purchase of Champagne house Lanson International, formerly Marne & Champagne, according to French media reports....
US wine importer Paterno Wines International has added the Loire wine producer Langlois-Chateau to its portfolio....
For the first time in the history of French wines, producers of the superior AOC label have been instructed by the sector's governing body, the Institut National des Appellations d'Origine (INAO) , to...
The French wine industry's troubles are unlikely to be helped by this year's harvest as preliminary figures predict a bumper crop, placing more pressure on winemakers who are still struggling to sell ...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Baijius brand value overtakes whisk(e)y - figures
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research