US: Costco to introduce own craft beer label - report
Costco has announced plans to sell it own brand of craft beers across the US, according to reports.
Seattle Times said yesterday (4 February) that the Issaquah company has received federal permission to begin selling beers bearing the Kirkland Signature logo. The paper added that The Treasury Department's Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau has approved label applications for amber ale, pale ale and hefeweizen made in partnership with Gordon Biersch Brewing.
CostCo chief executive Jim Sinegal was cited as saying that Costco was "months away" from introducing the new brews.
Sinegal added: "To begin the process, we have to seek permission to sell the product. We've done that, and now we need to develop it."
Costco is reportedly still negotiating with Gordon Biersch, and prices have not yet been defined.
No one was available to comment at CostCo when contacted by just-drinks today.
Sectors: Beer & cider
Last week, the UK government published a consultation document which many believe to be the prelude to tighter legislation on alcoholic drinks. In this month's Just the Answer interview, Jeremy Beadle...
I remember writing about four years ago that the level of media attention in the UK being levelled on obesity may temper the threat of potential regulation of the alcohol industry as legislators sharp...
The 61st World Health Assembly published its resolution on "Strategies to reduce the harmful use of alcohol" last month. Ben Cooper examines the resolution and the response from public health agencies...
Vinmonopolet has posted a slight lift in sales for the first six months of this year....
Independent Brewers United has extended the deadline for its tender offer to acquire Pyramid Breweries by 48 hours....
Embodi, a non-alcoholic beverage that provides the health benefits of red wine without the alcohol, is launching in the US....
North West based importer, Myliko Wines, has been appointed the sole UK agent for Canei....
The introduction of a tax hike on RTDs in Australia has failed to stem the overall amount of alcohol consumed in the country, according to local reports....
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- US spirits pricing went "a little high" - Diageo
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Diageo H1 sales flatline as Q2 improves
- Carlsberg freezes Russia salaries, new hires
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research