SWEDEN: Cost of alcohol abuse on rise - report
Costs relating to alcohol abuse in Sweden are on the rise, according to research out this week. The increase is driven by a 30% rise in alcohol consumption over the last decade, an alcohol lobby group has said.
A report published by the Swedish Temperance Organisation claims that the country is now faced with an additional SEK50bn (US$6.4bn) in costs related to alcohol consumption since 1998.
In a statement, the Organisation also said that deaths from alcohol-related incidents were set to rise from 6,000 to 7,500 a year.
The pressure group has warned that the Swedish government must reconsider any moves to cut taxes on alcohol in the country.
"Instead of lowering alcohol taxes, the government should work to lower the import alcohol quotas and thus reduce the border trade," the statement said.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Threats of alcohol nationalisation have been played down by the Russian Government....
Brasserie Kronenbourg has clarified earlier reports about its entry into the low alcohol beer sector in France....
Police in eastern Kenya have said that at least 24 people died on Saturday after drinking illegally produced alcohol....
According to a recently published study, people who drink alcohol may have a lower risk of developing a type of cancer which affects the lymphatic system known as non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL)....
Diageo is calling for facts labels to be placed on alcohol beverages in the US....
Kenyan authorities are to ban beer and spirits advertising from television and billboards in the country, according to a local report late last week....
Post-menopausal women who consume even moderate amounts of alcohol may face an increased risk of breast cancer, according to a comprehensive US study....
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- Remy Cointreau's YTD performance - Focus
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- AB InBev targets South Africa with redundancy plan
- Pernod Ricard gives Beefeater 24 packaging revamp
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends