SWEDEN: Cost of alcohol abuse on rise - report
Costs relating to alcohol abuse in Sweden are on the rise, according to research out this week. The increase is driven by a 30% rise in alcohol consumption over the last decade, an alcohol lobby group has said.
A report published by the Swedish Temperance Organisation claims that the country is now faced with an additional SEK50bn (US$6.4bn) in costs related to alcohol consumption since 1998.
In a statement, the Organisation also said that deaths from alcohol-related incidents were set to rise from 6,000 to 7,500 a year.
The pressure group has warned that the Swedish government must reconsider any moves to cut taxes on alcohol in the country.
"Instead of lowering alcohol taxes, the government should work to lower the import alcohol quotas and thus reduce the border trade," the statement said.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Threats of alcohol nationalisation have been played down by the Russian Government....
Brasserie Kronenbourg has clarified earlier reports about its entry into the low alcohol beer sector in France....
Police in eastern Kenya have said that at least 24 people died on Saturday after drinking illegally produced alcohol....
According to a recently published study, people who drink alcohol may have a lower risk of developing a type of cancer which affects the lymphatic system known as non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL)....
Diageo is calling for facts labels to be placed on alcohol beverages in the US....
Kenyan authorities are to ban beer and spirits advertising from television and billboards in the country, according to a local report late last week....
Post-menopausal women who consume even moderate amounts of alcohol may face an increased risk of breast cancer, according to a comprehensive US study....
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Edrington posts FY profits drop
- Pernod Ricard allays Havana Club shortage fears
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research