USA: Corona to Be Introduced in Cans
Already the top selling imported beer in the U.S., Corona Extra, previously only available in bottles, will rollout a new can package this summer.Earlier this year a meeting was held between Grupo Modelo and its United States importers to discuss the Corona can. In attendance were Valentin Diez, Senior VP of Sales and Marketing for Grupo Modelo, Alexander Berk, President and CEO Barton, Inc. and Carlos Alvarez, President of The Gambrinus Company."For years our customers have asked us to offer a Corona can and we're excited that our Grupo Modelo partners have committed to producing this new package for the U.S. market," Berk said."Grupo Modelo is responding to retail customers and consumers who have been unable to purchase their favorite imported beer in places such as airlines, golf courses and stadiums because of restrictions on glass bottles," said Diez."Corona in the clear bottle will remain the primary Corona Extra package, but the can will offer consumers the opportunity to enjoy the number one imported beer in places where they previously could not," added Alvarez.The availability of Corona Extra in cans expands the brand's distribution opportunities. The new 12 ounce package which was designed mirroring the label on Corona Extra's clear glass bottle will be available in 6 packs.The brewery and its importers spent years studying and developing the can packaging. The conclusion was that there was a need for the can based on extensive market research. Consumer response to the can is consistently positive and it even has a "wide mouth" opening to accommodate the lime wedge that is often enjoyed with Corona.Corona Extra is the number one selling beer in Mexico, the fifth largest selling beer brand in the world and is available in 150 countries.Barton Beers, Ltd. and The Gambrinus Company import Modelo's Corona Extra, Corona Light, Coronita, Modelo Especial, Negra Modelo and Pacifico to the western and eastern United States respectively.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits