USA: Corona to Be Introduced in Cans
Already the top selling imported beer in the U.S., Corona Extra, previously only available in bottles, will rollout a new can package this summer.Earlier this year a meeting was held between Grupo Modelo and its United States importers to discuss the Corona can. In attendance were Valentin Diez, Senior VP of Sales and Marketing for Grupo Modelo, Alexander Berk, President and CEO Barton, Inc. and Carlos Alvarez, President of The Gambrinus Company."For years our customers have asked us to offer a Corona can and we're excited that our Grupo Modelo partners have committed to producing this new package for the U.S. market," Berk said."Grupo Modelo is responding to retail customers and consumers who have been unable to purchase their favorite imported beer in places such as airlines, golf courses and stadiums because of restrictions on glass bottles," said Diez."Corona in the clear bottle will remain the primary Corona Extra package, but the can will offer consumers the opportunity to enjoy the number one imported beer in places where they previously could not," added Alvarez.The availability of Corona Extra in cans expands the brand's distribution opportunities. The new 12 ounce package which was designed mirroring the label on Corona Extra's clear glass bottle will be available in 6 packs.The brewery and its importers spent years studying and developing the can packaging. The conclusion was that there was a need for the can based on extensive market research. Consumer response to the can is consistently positive and it even has a "wide mouth" opening to accommodate the lime wedge that is often enjoyed with Corona.Corona Extra is the number one selling beer in Mexico, the fifth largest selling beer brand in the world and is available in 150 countries.Barton Beers, Ltd. and The Gambrinus Company import Modelo's Corona Extra, Corona Light, Coronita, Modelo Especial, Negra Modelo and Pacifico to the western and eastern United States respectively.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 14 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Scotch's Slipping Crown: Convenient for Diageo?
- Comment - Has Scotch Whisky Jumped the Shark?
- Can Beer Learn from Keurig and Nespresso?
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD
- C&C Group 'puzzled' by Spirit Pub Co rejection
- Diageo partner Beckham turned down Beck's deal
- Whisky downturn slows Diageo's Scotch spend
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- EXCLUSIVE - Mast-Jaegermeister, TWE join watchdog
- SABMiller announces management reshuffle
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Wine in the United Kingdom
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review