USA: Corona to Be Introduced in Cans
Already the top selling imported beer in the U.S., Corona Extra, previously only available in bottles, will rollout a new can package this summer.Earlier this year a meeting was held between Grupo Modelo and its United States importers to discuss the Corona can. In attendance were Valentin Diez, Senior VP of Sales and Marketing for Grupo Modelo, Alexander Berk, President and CEO Barton, Inc. and Carlos Alvarez, President of The Gambrinus Company."For years our customers have asked us to offer a Corona can and we're excited that our Grupo Modelo partners have committed to producing this new package for the U.S. market," Berk said."Grupo Modelo is responding to retail customers and consumers who have been unable to purchase their favorite imported beer in places such as airlines, golf courses and stadiums because of restrictions on glass bottles," said Diez."Corona in the clear bottle will remain the primary Corona Extra package, but the can will offer consumers the opportunity to enjoy the number one imported beer in places where they previously could not," added Alvarez.The availability of Corona Extra in cans expands the brand's distribution opportunities. The new 12 ounce package which was designed mirroring the label on Corona Extra's clear glass bottle will be available in 6 packs.The brewery and its importers spent years studying and developing the can packaging. The conclusion was that there was a need for the can based on extensive market research. Consumer response to the can is consistently positive and it even has a "wide mouth" opening to accommodate the lime wedge that is often enjoyed with Corona.Corona Extra is the number one selling beer in Mexico, the fifth largest selling beer brand in the world and is available in 150 countries.Barton Beers, Ltd. and The Gambrinus Company import Modelo's Corona Extra, Corona Light, Coronita, Modelo Especial, Negra Modelo and Pacifico to the western and eastern United States respectively.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Carlsberg freezes Russia salaries, new hires
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research