US: Coors, Molson confirm merger talks
The two North American brewers Molson and Adolph Coors have announced they are in merger talks, following press speculation to that end yesterday.
An announcement "could be made in the near future," they said, but they also warned the talks could break down at any time.
The terms being discussed include Eric Molson (currently Molson's chairman) becoming chairman of the board; Leo Kiely (currently Coors' CEO) becoming CEO; and Daniel J. O'Neill (currently Molson's president and CEO) becoming vice chairman, synergies and integration, of the combined company.
The parties said they do not intend to make any further comment prior to entering into a combination agreement or the termination of negotiations.
Combined, the two companies would boast a market capitalisation of US$6 bln.
However, analysts have met the announcement with a mixed reaction.
Some have pointed out that the two beer companies would benefit from an increase in size. Others, though, are questioning whether two similar-sized companies with little to offer each other in new growth opportunities are a viable merger proposition.
Molson Coors is more likely than not to keep hold of its Brazilian operations because of the huge potential of the market there, an analyst has said. This is despite a run of poor results from the com...
Molson is to start production of Coors' Blue Moon beer for the US market from its Montreal brewery....
First quarter losses announced last week by Molson Coors are wider than originally reported, according to a recent filing....
Molson Coors Brewing Company disappointed investors yesterday by reporting a net loss for the first quarter of 2005. The company said that it had achieved higher consolidated net sales and sales volum...
Molson Coors Brewing Company said yesterday that Daniel J. O'Neill, Vice-chairman, synergies and integration and formerly president and CEO of Molson Inc, has chosen to leave the company May 31 of thi...
Heineken has its eyes on possible acquisitions in Latin America, according to the company's CEO....
Molson Canada has announced it has acquired Ontario microbrewery Creemore Springs Brewery Ltd. Established in 1987, the brewery in Creemore, Ontario, 120 kilometres northwest of Toronto, employs 50 pe...
Peter M. R. Kendall, chief executive officer of Coors Brewers Limited, the European business unit of Molson Coors Brewing Company, will retire from his post on 1 May....
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Diageo strengthens Charmer Sunbelt distribution
- New whisky distillery set for Edinburgh
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- India overtakes France for Pernod Ricard
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research