CAGE 2011: Coors Light, Miller Lite to overtake Budweiser - SABMiller
Coors Light is expected to overtake Budweiser this year, according to SABMiller
SABMiller's CEO, Graham Mackay, said that Coors Light has been outperforming Budweiser for the last couple of years, albeit in a shrinking market. In 2011, Coors Light is set to overtake A-B InBev's brand in terms of volume market share.
"It looks like Coors Light will do it this year and Miller Lite will probably do it in the next couple of years," Mackay said yesterday (29 March), speaking on the sidelines of the Consumer Analyst Group Europe's (CAGE) annual conference in London.
"It's one hell of an achievement, if you look at the performance graph," he said. Bud Light remains the US market leader, but Coors Light and Budweiser are neck-and-neck with market shares of 8.5% and 8.7% respectively, according to the Beer Business Daily publication.
Setting aside the intra-brand rivalry, Mackay told analysts that there is greater reason for optimism for the US beer market in general.
SABMiller's US joint-venture with Molson Coors, MillerCoors, and A-B InBev have suffered volume declines in the US over the last couple of years and the US beer market shrank by around 3% in volume in 2010, but Mackay said: "Our numbers will show that the situation is at least softening, if not improving. Miller Lite and Coors Light are both in growth right now."
He added: "As it starts to look a bit perkier, both us and A-B InBev will be ramping up spend behind our brands."
In its presentation at CAGE yesterday, SABMiller said that per capita beer consumption in North America is expected to increase by an average 0.4% annually up to 2015.
The arrival of an agreement between Foster's Group and SABMiller over the latter's bid for the former earlier today has come about - in part - following an improved bid by SAB, as one would expect. Ho...
SABMiller's takeover deal for Foster's Group has raised eyebrows about the Peroni brewer's strategy. Here, the maturity of Australia's beer market is underlined by consumption figures going back to 19...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Baijius brand value overtakes whisk(e)y - figures
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends