US: Coors attacked for lower drinking age proposal
Peter Coors has come under attack for proposing a lowering of the drinking age. The Republican Senate candidate and member of the Coors dynasty has had his support for the proposal questioned by a group behind his GOP primary rival Bob Schaffer in a TV ad.
"Beer executive Pete Coors says we should lower the drinking age so teenagers can drink," says the commercial, which will be released soon by Colorado Conservative Voters. "Makes you wonder what else we should know about Pete Coors. Oh, Pete!"
Coors reiterated his support for lowering the drinking age from 21 to 18 during a debate with Schaffer last month, saying that young people drink anyway and the government has made them criminals.
An earlier ad by the same group criticised Coors for his company's gay-friendly policies.
The two Republicans are battling to succeed retiring GOP Sen. Ben Nighthorse Campbell.
Sectors: Beer & cider
As the US distillers' association, Discus, for the first time in its history publishes its annual report into spirits advertising, which includes complaints against its self-regulatory code, David Rob...
Constellation Brands is interested in some of Allied Domecq's spirits brands, according to reports today (15 April)....
Maxxium Worldwide could come under pressure if Pernod and Fortune's Allied Domecq bid is successful, according to press reports today (14 April)....
It's been a quiet day on the Pernod/Allied Domecq front....
Conflicting reports circulated this weekend over whether Bacardi International is looking to form a counter-bid for Allied Domecq....
Todays press reports into Pernod and Fortune's hopes to buy Allied Domecq warn of possible conflicts and set a date for completion....
Pernod Ricard and Fortune Brands are hoping to buy Allied Domecq for around 670p per share, according to press reports....
LVMH has said it is not looking to buy Mumm Champagne from Allied Domecq....
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research