AUS: Coopers Brewery to brew Sapporo in Australia
Coopers Brewery will produce Sapporo in Australia starting in October
Coopers Brewery has signed a ten-year licensing agreement with Sapporo to brew and distribute the Japanese brewer's beer in Australia.
Under the deal, which commences in October, Coopers expects to produce the equivalent of 160,000 cases of Sapporo in kegs and bottles at its Regency Park brewery in Adelaide in the first year, rising to 500,000 cases within five years.
“It is the first major contract brewing arrangement to be undertaken by Coopers since moving to Regency Park in 2001,” said managing director Tim Cooper, “although we have been brewing Carlsberg’s ultra low alcohol beer, Birell, since 1977.”
Dr Cooper said sales and distribution would be handled by subsidiary Premium Beverages, which has been looking for a new global brand since losing the Australian rights to Grolsch in 2008 and Budweiser in 2009.
The deal is expected to generate AUD2m (US$2.1m) in annual revenue which will be re-invested in marketing to grow the brand. “In profit terms,” said Cooper, “it might not add very much in the first three to five years.”
Sapporo is currently distributed in Australia by Woolworths, a retail group unrelated to either the South African or collapsed UK retailers of the same name.
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas....
Carlsberg has said that it has "full confidence" in management at Chinese partner Chongqing Brewery, despite seeing the group's shares suspended from trading....
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- just the Ten - Top News Stories of 2014
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018