Convenience trends propel global drinks market - research
Consumers are looking for simple solutions to buying and consuming beverages
A desire for convenience will continue to drive global beverage trends as consumers look to new formats and e-commerce, a new report has said.
The increasing emergence of canned wines and wines on tap point to an evolution in packaging that caters to greater convenience, according to the IWSR's Global Trends Report 2016, released this week. Meanwhile, in retail, the move to online shopping continues apace, allowing consumers to order drinks quickly and direct to their door.
The IWSR report echoes previous findings that have highlighted convenience trends. At a category management conference held in London in March, the two key trends were the rise of e-commerce and the importance of convenience.
The IWSR named four other trends that it said were "helping to reshape the landscape of the global alcoholic drinks market".
- Category blur
Consumers are proving more willing to switch categories, highlighted in the growing appeal of spirit beers such as Heineken's Desperados, and spirit ciders. "This has led to migrations not only within spirits, but also in some cases between broader categories," the IWSR said.
- Consumer evolution
Millennial demand for "authentic, engaging and high-quality brands" is driving some growth in developed markets, however in emerging regions female consumers are becoming more important.
- Health consciousness
Health and wellness trends now appear to be almost world-wide and producers are launching drinks with lower alcohol or calories.
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- Remy Cointreau's YTD performance - Focus
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- AB InBev targets South Africa with redundancy plan
- Pernod Ricard gives Beefeater 24 packaging revamp
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends