UK: Consumers not penny-pinching on wine - research
Cash-strapped consumers in the UK are thinking twice before reducing their spending on wine, according to researched commissioned by the Wine and Spirit Trade Association.
The Wine Intelligence survey of 1,000 regular wine drinkers, released today (20 May), shows 60% would prefer to cut spending on sweets, chocolate, soft drinks and beer before considering cutting back on their wine purchases.
WSTA chief executive Jeremy Beadles said: "With household budgets feeling the squeeze it should be a source of some comfort to the trade that many regular wine drinkers will pause for thought before they cut back on wine purchases."
Other spending patterns revealed were that men spend more on a bottle of wine than women when buying for an occasion, wine drinkers (under 35) spend more on wine than older drinkers (over 55), and most wine drinkers think wine prices have not risen as fast over the last six months as other categories.
Minimum prices for alcohol, an end to promotions in bars and a new mandatory code of practice are three main pillars of a new Parliamentary report examining alcohol-related harm in the UK....
Experimental techniques used to reduce alcohol content in wines have been cleared by the EU....
UK consumers are reigning in their spending on wine, according to a survey from the Wine and Spirit Trade Association (WSTA)....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Introducing alcohol-only checkouts in UK retailers will not help to tackle drinking abuse, says the industry....
Alcoholic drinks associations in the UK have proposed a new regulatory approach on promotions, following a government consultation on reducing alcohol-related harm....
The Wine and Spirit Trade Association (WSTA) has rejected calls by Liberal Democrat leader Nick Clegg for the introduction of minimum pricing of alcohol....
Rosé wine has continued to establish its place in UK wine drinking culture, despite poor summer weather, according to new research....
- Diageo's Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Wine consumption and its health effects
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- The Coca-Cola Co's Q2/H1 2016 results - Preview
- Time to take stock of Constellation's Corona
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- AB InBev seeks single buyer for European beers
- Gruppo Campari trials Negroni pre-mix
- Scotch drop hits Edrington as FY profits fall
- AB InBev raises SAB cash offer by GBP1 per share
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends