UK: Consumers lose taste for red wine - WSTA survey
UK wine drinkers are consuming less red and more white and rosé wines, according to new research.
The Consumer Intelligence survey for the WSTA showed the numbers of wine drinkers drinking red have dipped in the last three months from 78% to 72%. Consumers said that the amount of red wine they drink as a proportion of total wine consumption is also down, from 44% to 40%.
Yet the amount of white and rosé wines consumed has increased over the past quarter, with white wine up from 40% to 43%, and rosé up from 16% to 18%.
In the white wine category the popularity of Pinot Grigio has continued to grow, with numbers recording drinking it in the previous six months up from 47% in October last year to 54% now. It has overtaken Sauvignon Blanc as the second most popular white wine varietal, behind Chardonnay.
Researchers believe the shift in drinking patterns stretches beyond the customary summer boost for lighter wine styles.
"These findings are consistent with other research and industry indicators suggesting consumers are edging away from some of the more traditional red wines on formal occasions towards lighter wines in casual settings. We will be monitoring these measures closely to see if future surveys confirm an ongoing trend," said Brian Howard of Wine Intelligence.
Children under the age of 15 should never be given alcohol and and teenagers under 18 should be supervised to help curb a culture for excess drinking in the UK, according to new Government advice....
Plans to set a minimum price for alcohol may be blocked by the Scottish Labour Party, which claims the policy is "untried, untested, unworkable and possibly illegal"....
A restoration of value added tax to its standard 17.5% rate by the end of the year will be the "worst possible time" for making changes, the Wine and Spirit Trade Association has told just-drinks....
The Wine and Spirit Trade Association (WSTA) is urging the UK Government to cut excise duty rates on wine and spirits when it restores value added tax to its standard 17.5% rate at the end of this yea...
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends