CHINA: Constellations Brands eyes ten-fold Robert Mondavi sales boost with China deal
Robert Mondavi is in line for expansion in China
Constellation Brands is to expand the Chinese distribution of its Robert Mondavi wine brand with a new partnership in the country.
The deal, with Beijing-based Vats Liquor, was announced today (26 March) in the south-western Chinese city of Chengdu. It will see Napa Valley's Robert Mondavi sold through the Vats Liquor network, which comprises around 500 shops across the country.
The new agreement aims to expand Mondavi sales by ten times, Constellation's senior VP of international, Philip Kingston, told just-drinks at ProWein 2014 in Düsseldorf this week.
“We already sell Mondavi in China in a small way but we can now use the leverage of the Vats network to get it into places we wouldn't be able to get to,” Kingston said. “They have a whole private market there where a lot of business is done and we just would have access to that without Vats.”
Kingston said the partnership will be “very long-term” and will strengthen Constellation's footprint in China over the coming decades.
Meanwhile, Constellation CEO Rob Sands said: “This strategic alignment with Vats Liquor is an exciting step forward in the execution of our international strategy, which is focused on establishing strong distribution of our powerful global wine and spirits brands in core markets around the world.”
Constellation's head winemaker told just-drinks this week that the Californian grape harvest could be down by 10% this year because of drought.
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Constellation Brands is the world’s second largest wine producer and, since the acquisition of Modelo’s US operations, the global leader in imported premium lager. This profile analyses the company’s ...
Global Wine industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also contains descriptions of ...
The G8 Spirits industry guide provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The guide also c...
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts