AUS: Constellation Wines Australia divests Amberley Estate
Constellation will keep the Amberley Estate brand after the facility sale
The Australian wine arm of Constellation Brands has confirmed the sale of the Amberley Estate vineyard and facility in the country.
The divestment, to “family interests associated with (Perth-based businessman) Stephen Tobin” for an undisclosed sum, was confirmed late last week. Constellation inherited the site when it acquired Canada-based Vincor International in 2006. Vincor bought Amberley Estate for AUD24.8m (US$22.1m) back in 2004.
“We are very pleased with the agreement we have reached,” said Constellation Wines Australia's (CWAU) president, Troy Christensen. “CWAU will retain the Amberley brand but Steve (Tobin) ... will be taking over the vineyard, cellar door and restaurant facilities.
“This is a great outcome for the region as it will remain a drawcard with a cellar door and restaurant facility.”
Tobin said he plans to to rename, rebrand, expand and develop the 67-hectare property “into a premium tourism destination for Australian families and international visitors”.
Earlier this month, CWAU announced 30 job losses as part of a review of its operations in the country. The reduction, at the former Hardy’s Winery site, follows the loss of 40 jobs at Constellation's Reynella facility, also in South Australia.
The first management briefing of 2011, brought to you by Euromonitor, looks at what this year will bring for the global drinks industry. Ahead of this, just-drinks looks back to look forward: Our brie...
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Constellation and Ballast Point's "sticker shock"
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Diageo Australia appoints commercial head
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- A-B InBev to "kick the tyres" at Coca-Cola
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Global Wine Market: News and Events September 2015