UK: Constellation targets CO2 emissions with bottling hub
Constellation Europe has officially opened its European bottling and warehousing hub in the UK, intended to increase efficiency and cut carbon emissions.
Constellation Europe, a subsidiary of California's Constellation Brands, said yesterday (17 February) that the 80,000 square-metre warehouse, known as Constellation Park, has opened in Avonmouth, near Bristol in the west of England.
The facility, which the company claims is the largest wine warehouse and distribution centre in Europe, will handle the bottling of "high-volume Australian brands", which will arrive in the UK in bulk wine format.
Among the equipment housed at the plant are two bottling lines and three bag-in-box lines, with the company aiming to bottle 9m nine-litre cases a year at the facility.
"The switch to UK bottling from Australia will reduce transport related CO2 emissions by more than a third for products sold in the UK," Constellation said.
The hub, which has cost the company EUR50m (US$62.9m), will employ around 300 and is expected to be fully operational by 1 May.
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Chilean wine group Veramonte has stripped out its distribution deal in the UK on-trade, moving directly to Matthew Clark....
Constellation Brands has begun a "realignment" process of its European and Australian wine divisions....
Wine and spirit maker Constellation Brands has signed multiyear deals with four distributors in the US in a bid to streamline its distribution network....
Constellation Europe is launching a special sales kit for its Stowells wine brand, in order to improve sales across the on-trade....
Crown Imports has appointed an Hispanic agency of record for Corona Extra and Modelo Especial in the US....
Pernod Ricard has said that it is considering making around 20 redundancies at its UK unit....
Constellation Europe has lined up a Chilean extension of its on-trade wine brand, Jack Rabbit, in the UK....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- US craft spirits could be as big as craft beer
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020