S AFRICA: Constellation finalises Flagstone acquisition
Constellation Europe has completed its acquisition of South African winery Flagstone.
The European arm of Constellation Brands confirmed late last week that it has finalised its acquisition of Flagstone, which Constellation has bought from family-owned Terrace Road Trading. The brand will join the Kumala wine brand in Constellation Europe's South Africa portfolio.
Financial details of the transaction were not disclosed.
As part of the proposed deal, Constellation Europe has retained the services of viticulturalist and winemaker Bruce Jack and his team. Jack will also supervise all of Constellation's viticulture and winemaking in South Africa, including Kumala.
This year will see "considerable revitalisation for the Kumala brand," as well as "new packaging and a heavyweight integrated marketing campaign," the company said.
Troy Christensen, president of Constellation Europe, added: "This is a strategically important move for Constellation Europe and we are delighted to welcome Flagstone to our international portfolio of fine wines. There is great potential for South African wines in the UK market. With Kumala as category leader, and under Bruce Jack's guidance, I believe we will unlock this tremendous potential."
Flagstone has enjoyed considerable success of late in Atlantic Canada and the UK through its Fish Hoek wine brand, Jack added. This year, the company is targeting total sales in the region of 300,000 cases.
Spain's premier wine region, Rioja, has been in heated debate over the addition of new white grape varieties to those allowed under the Rioja denomination. The introduction of several almost extinct l...
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week included news the world's number one wine group was to reduce its Australian footprint, Coca-Cola has acquired assets in Colombia and Diageo i...
Constellation Brands is looking to sell some of its wine assets in Australia....
Constellation Europe has added two new wines to its Hardys range in the UK as part of a GBP12m (US$23.8m) investment in the brand....
Lion Nathan has posted a lift in sales for the first nine months of its current fiscal year, driven mainly by its purchase of J Boag & Son in January....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Hardys is unveiling two new wines and a new look for its brand....
Gaymer Cider Company is to invest GBP1.2m (US$2.4m) in a through-the-line marketing campaign for its Blackthorn cider brand in the UK, upping the product's presence in sport in the south-west....
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- It's not all bad for Diageo - Analysis
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Brand
- Diageo upbeat on Scotch prospects
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Edrington appoints new board director
- Britvic appoints SABMiller's Dunn as CFO
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Q2 drags on half-year for Anheuser-Busch InBev
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research