US/MEXICO: Constellation Brands seals Modelo assets deal with Anheuser-Busch InBev
Constellation will now have a separate beer division
The deal, confirmed late Friday (7 June), sees Constellation take full control of Crown Imports, a JV Constellation ran with Modelo, as well as ownership of the Mexican brewer's Piedras Negras brewery and the perpetual rights to Modelo's brands in the US.
The Crown portfolio includes Corona Extra, Corona Light, Modelo Especial, Negra Modelo, Pacifico, Victoria from Mexico and Tsingtao from China.
Constellation said it will now operate with two divisions: a beer division and a wine and spirits division.
The group has been the benefactor of A-B InBev being forced to offer concessions on its capture of Modelo, after an anti-trust lawsuit filed by the US Department of Justice. The Budweiser brewer completed on its US$20.1bn acquisition of Modelo last Tuesday.
Constellation plans to invest $500-$600m during the next three years to double the Piedras Negras brewery's capacity to meet "projected demand" in the US, it said. The company and A-B InBev have also agreed a three-year "transition services agreement" to ensure the "smooth" handover of the brewery.
Rob Sands, Constellation's CEO, said: “Today begins a new chapter in Constellation’s history.”
He added: "We are ... very excited about the potential for developing new products and line extensions within the portfolio of brands in the US."
Sands told investors last week the deal will make Constellation the US' third largest beer supplier.
To read an exclusive comment piece on A-B InBev's global plans for Corona, click here.
- What's so special about Islay anyway? - Comment
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- Aus wine industry pays price for past failures
- What do Bourbon and craft beer have in common?
- Ten things to know about spirits in the US
- Alcohol industry warning over Kroger plan
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- Diageo's Orphan Barrel The Gifted Horse - NPD
- Suntory bids for Lucozade, Ribena Nigerian network
- American rye whiskey sales leap 600% in five years
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research