PROWEIN: Constellation Brands says water measures in force as California drought hits yields
Constellation has planted new vineyards in California
Constellation Brands' head wine maker has said that a prolonged drought in California could push industry wine yields down by 10% this year.
Erik Olsen told just-drinks that rainfall in the state is down by 60% this year, with vineyards in residential areas being hit by conservation orders. Olsen also warned that the drought, which is California's third year of shortages, could weaken vine “vigour” for next year's harvest.
“Water conservation is really becoming a big focus,” Olsen said at ProWein 2014 in Düsseldorf yesterday (23 March). “In various communities, (authorities) are starting to impose restrictions on water usage. Some of the wineries that are in municipalities are being asked to cut water usage by 20%.”
He added: “If (the drought) lasts, then eventually you will start to see lower vigour in the vines, which could affect fruitfulness in vintage 2015.”
But, Olsen noted that Constellation's California yield this year should be level with last year's because of new vineyard planting. He said the sunny weather has created good buds that should make for a fruitful harvest.
“Back in the 1970s, when we had the last big dry patch, it was a three-year dry spell,” he said. “But then, in a month, we had so much rain it filled everything up. No one is saying it will rain, but anything could happen.”
Meanwhile, Accolade Wines' brand ambassador for Hardys wine, Bill Hardy, said the Australian harvest - now underway - will not be as good as last year's but should be better than the 2011 yield.
“Volumes will be down a little because the crop is down, but we've had problems with oversupply in the past few years in Australia, so it should be okay for the industry,” Hardy told just-drinks.
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Global Wine industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also contains descriptions of ...
The G8 Spirits industry guide provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The guide also c...
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Innovations - Scotch Whisky VII
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China