US: Constellation Brands plays down Crown Imports row
No war brewing at Crown Imports - Constellation chief
Constellation and Modelo "continue to work closely together" despite no resolution of their legal dispute, Rob Sands told analysts during Constellation's first quarter results call last week.
Mexico-based Modelo filed a lawsuit against Constellation in December, seeking to recoup marketing funds from its joint venture partner.
Crown sells Modelo's Corona beer in the US and the lawsuit caused some analysts to question the venture's viability, particularly in the midst of a tough beer market in the US.
Sands dismissed the lawsuit as "a dispute over financially immaterial items".
He added: "Our primary focus is on driving this business and on making sure we're doing the right thing for the brand and consumers.
"Imports are taking share [and] our portfolio is now performing the best in the import category. So, I would say both parties are pretty pleased with what's going on and, despite this dispute, we're working pretty well together and we'll continue working well together in the future."
Both firms are contracted to work together in Crown until 2016.
Crown's net sales fell by 3% to US$622m during Constellation's first fiscal quarter, to the end of May. The venture was damaged by "higher promotions, unfavourable mix and lower volume", Constellation said. The firm's share of earnings from Crown fell by 14% to $54m for the three months, compared to the same period of last year.
However, the firm reported growth in depletions during the period, driven by advertising and promotion spend.
The rise in depletions prompted analyst group Stifel Nicolaus to raise its sales estimate for Crown, from 1% to 2% growth over Constellation's full-year.
In this, the final part of just-drinks' review of 2010, Olly Wehring takes a look at what made the wine headlines this year....
Part three of our annual review of the year brings us Chris Mercer's look at how 2010 has treated the world's brewers....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read news stories on just-drinks in 2010....
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Comment - Diageo Making the Best of a Bad Job?
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Comment - IPO Launch a Tonic for Fever-Tree
- How Modern Marketing Compounds My Twitter Shame
- NPD - Moët Hennessy’s Glenmorangie Dornoch
- Pernod blames rule changes for Plymouth GI drop
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- China to axe duty on Australian wine
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research