US: Constellation Brands looks to Californian sun for energy
Constellation Brands has installed what it claims to be the world's largest winery solar energy system.
The US-based company said yesterday (15 January) that the system, located at its facility in Gonzales, California, will be completed in the early part of this year. Once operational, the project will produce more than 1.7m kilowatt hours of electricity per year, equating to around half of the winery's total energy requirements.
Electricity from the system will also be exported to local residential customers during the winery's non-peak use periods, Constellation said.
"The solar energy project is one of several regional initiatives that demonstrate our commitment to reducing our environmental impact and ensuring the legacy we leave for future generations is a positive one in the communities where we have a significant presence," said Rob Sands, Constellation's president and CEO.
Through partnerships with Pacific Power Management, Mitsubishi Electric and Pacific Gas and Electric, 6,358 solar panels are being installed on the roof of the main building at the Gonzales winery, located near Monterey. The company said that, through the lifetime of the system, the project is estimated to annually reduce the facility's carbon footprint in an amount equivalent to planting 2,500 acres of trees.
Wines produced at Gonzales include Robert Mondavi Private Selection, Solaire by Robert Mondavi, Black Box and Hayman & Hill.
Last month, ex-Brown-Forman exec David Cox became Europe director for New Zealand Winegrowers. He spoke with Chris Mercer about what attracted him to working for a generic body and about New Zealand's...
Constellation Europe has lined up a Chilean extension of its on-trade wine brand, Jack Rabbit, in the UK....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Constellation Brands has posted a marked fall in net sales and profits for the first quarter of its current fiscal year....
Beam Global Spirits & Wine has acquired the Effen vodka brand from Sazerac Co....
Crown Imports has launched a food-based tie-up for two of Grupo Modelo beer brands in the US....
Constellation Europe is launching Semillon Sauvignon and Cabernet Merlot wines in the UK to support the growth of its Banrock Station brand in the country....
Asia-based investors have dominated international interest in the sale of Foster's Australian wine assets, but prices are under pressure....
- Can Bacardi take its rum back to the party?
- What Trans-Pacific Partnership means for drinks
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Japan and the global soft drinks race
- ABInBev on the verge of SABMiller buy? - Comment
- A-B InBev raises SABMiller offer to GBP70.5bn
- Carlsberg UK chief James Lousada quits
- Brito gives call to arms to SABMiller shareholders
- Beam Suntory CMO to stand down
- Ketel One co-owner now Bols' largest shareholder
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Anheuser-Busch InBev SA/NV - Strategy and SWOT Report