US: Constellation Brands issues Corona recall over glass threat
The recall covers selected Corona Extra multi-packs
Constellation Brands has recalled some of its Corona Extra bottles in the US because they may contain glass particles.
The beer, spirits and wine producer said the voluntary recall covers 12oz clear bottles in selected six-packs, 12-packs and 19-packs int eh country. A routine inspection highlighted the threat after tests revealed defects that could cause small particles of glass to break off and fall into the bottles, Constellation said on Friday.
The bottles come from one of four glass plants run by an unnamed third-party manufacturer, with less than 1% of the plant's production affected, Constellation said.
“We are troubled by this development and are working with our distributors, retailers and consumers to resolve this situation as quickly as possible,” said Bill Hackett, president of Constellation's beer unit.
The recall follows news reports in June that the company had run out of glass bottles for its Corona brand. Constellation denied this at the time, and said the reason some retailers had suffered tightness in some Corona SKUs was down to high demand.
The imminent departure of Constellation Brands' CFO has put the wind up many in the financial community, less so because of the speed of the move, more because of his past achievements....
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Remy Cointreau sets up whisky division
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits