US: Constellation Brands completes Mark West deal for US$160m
Constellation first announced details of the deal last month
Constellation Brands has completed its acquisition of the Mark West brand from Purple Wine Company for around US$160m, the company announced yesterday (16 July).
The deal includes the Mark West trademark, grape supply contracts and inventories of wines from three California appellations - a California Pinot Noir, a Russian River reserve Pinot Noir and a Santa Lucia reserve Pinot Noir, along with a Chardonnay. According to FMCG analysts, SymphonyIRI, Mark West is the top-selling Pinot Noir in the US, posting a 35% volume growth rate in the last 12 weeks.
"Mark West is one of the fastest-growing major Pinot Noirs in the market and has exceeded the growth of the category," said Rob Sands, Constellation's CEO. "The brand is an exciting addition and fills a gap in our portfolio of pinot noir brands."
Constellation first announced details of the deal last month, on the same day it emerged the firm is to take full control of beer import business Crown Imports, in the wake of Grupo Modelo's merger with Anheuser-Busch InBev.
Last year, just-drinks travelled to the US to report on Diageo's investor conference. The subject of the presentations was the company's hopes and plans for the Latin America & Caribbean region. While...
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- A game of two halves for Remy Cointreau - Analysis
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- Britvic hits make-or-break time for US Fruit Shoot
- Beam Suntory to sell brandy & sherry to Emperador
- Former Diageo exec joins William Grant in LatAm
- A-B InBev mulls sale of Peroni, Grolsch - report
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- This week in spirits & wine
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Market 2015-2019
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts