US: Constellation Brands completes Mark West deal for US$160m
Constellation first announced details of the deal last month
Constellation Brands has completed its acquisition of the Mark West brand from Purple Wine Company for around US$160m, the company announced yesterday (16 July).
The deal includes the Mark West trademark, grape supply contracts and inventories of wines from three California appellations - a California Pinot Noir, a Russian River reserve Pinot Noir and a Santa Lucia reserve Pinot Noir, along with a Chardonnay. According to FMCG analysts, SymphonyIRI, Mark West is the top-selling Pinot Noir in the US, posting a 35% volume growth rate in the last 12 weeks.
"Mark West is one of the fastest-growing major Pinot Noirs in the market and has exceeded the growth of the category," said Rob Sands, Constellation's CEO. "The brand is an exciting addition and fills a gap in our portfolio of pinot noir brands."
Constellation first announced details of the deal last month, on the same day it emerged the firm is to take full control of beer import business Crown Imports, in the wake of Grupo Modelo's merger with Anheuser-Busch InBev.
Last year, just-drinks travelled to the US to report on Diageo's investor conference. The subject of the presentations was the company's hopes and plans for the Latin America & Caribbean region. While...
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- US craft beer to hit saturation soon - Koch
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends