US: Constellation Brands agrees to buy Mark West brand
Constellation Brands has agreed to buy the Mark West wine brand
Constellation Brands has agreed a deal to acquire the Californian pinot noir Mark West brand from Purple Wine Company for an undisclosed sum.
The deal, announced today (29 June), includes the Mark West trademark and inventories of wines from three California appellations - a California pinot noir, a Russian River reserve pinot noir and a Santa Lucia reserve pinot noir, along with a Chardonnay. The deal is expected to complete next month.
“Mark West is one of the fastest-growing major pinot noirs in the market and has exceeded the growth of the category. It is an exciting addition to our portfolio and fills a gap in our portfolio of pinot noir brands,” said Rob Sands, Constellation Brands' CEO.
According to Constellation Mark West has had 10 years of double-digit growth in the US.
Derek Benham, Purple Wine CEO, said: “Mark West had reached a critical juncture in its development. Purple Wine Company has grown Mark West to the point where it requires a company with the scale, reach and resources of Constellation Brands to sustain that growth.”
Earlier today it was also announced Constellation is take full control of beer import business Crown Imports by buying out Mexican brewer Grupo Modelo's 50% share. Modelo is selling its stake in light of its merger with Anheuser-Busch InBev.
News of the deals came as Constellation also today reported a slight drop in Q1 net profits to US$72m in the three months to the end of May, down from US$74.5m last year.
The penultimate part of just-drinks' review of 2012 looks at a tumultuous year for the wine category....
The wine category is, to put it tactfully, different in many ways. No more so than when it comes to its relationship with the environment. Part one of this month's four-part briefing on environmental ...
Last week we ran the first part of an exclusive interview with Constellation Brands' CEO Rob Sands. In this second and final part here, Sands discusses the group's spirits portfolio, its pending move ...
The current CEO of Constellation Brands, Rob Sands, is only the group's third boss in its 67-year history - and he's been with the firm for 26 years. Clearly, then, he'll know a things or two about th...
Hats off the Sunday Telegraph for breaking the story today (9 December) that Diageo has been sniffing around Beam Inc....
Just over six months after Troy Christensen assumed the position of CEO for Constellation Europe, I was granted an audience with him. We met in London in the summer of 2007 and, after three different ...
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read Hot Topics on just-drinks in 2012....
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- How Treasury is rewriting the rule book - Comment
- The decline of the flagship beer brand - Comment
- Drinkable yogurt - The next drinks opportunity
- Coca-Cola India suspends bottling operations
- Diageo brands need "fixing and nurturing" - TWE
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- SAB shareholders granted AB InBev vote split
- Craft Brew Alliance poised for AB InBev takeover?
- Diageo's Guinness Rye Pale Ale - NPD
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages