US: Consolidation grows among beer distributors
Consolidation has grown among US beer distributors due to rising costs, the need for well-balanced portfolios and broader reach, according to an industry report.
The Rabobank report: The Future of Consolidation in the Beer Distribution Sector, said yesterday (15 April) that increased operational costs have put pressure on smaller distributors to sell their franchises to larger distributors.
In 1933, the US government mandated a three-tier system in which alcohol producers had to sell their products to distributors who then sold to retailers. The aim was to limit competition by making sure that producers could not own retailers, however, the numbers of distributors have dropped since the 1970s. Smaller distributors cannot negotiate costs in the same way that larger companies can, nor do they have the means to acquire a broad portfolio of attractive brands, said the report.
Food & Agribusiness research and advisory vice president Stephen Rannekleiv said: "In many ways, 2007 was a watershed year in terms of the number and magnitude of changes in the beer distribution playing field."
Rannekleiv added: "As consumers demand a wider variety of - particularly higher-end -products, developing a strong portfolio of brands has taken on critical importance, perhaps even more important than the strength of any one individual brand in the portfolio."
"Over the years, domestic premium brands (Budweiser, Miller, Coors) have dominated the market, but sales have been relatively flat. In 2007, dollar sales of imports grew by 4.4% and micro-brands grew by 16.8%. However, this growth is likely to slow due to growing concerns about the economy and a tightening credit market," the report added.
Rannekleiv went on to explain that "an economic slowdown can be expected to create greater price-sensitivity in the market, creating a more challenging environment for flagship brands to take price increases. Recent numbers show that sub-premium brands may be regaining ground as consumers seek lower-priced alternatives to domestic premium brands".
Sectors: Beer & cider
It's a cliché of course that Christmas preparations in the UK seem to get earlier every year. But you have to give the UK supermarket chains their due, it's seemingly never too early to hang the prove...
The Olympic Games in China, which took place earlier this summer, is expected to have a "profound effect" on spirits companies in the country, according to recent research....
Rising consumer interest in speciality beers presents definite opportunities for the dark beer category, writes Catherine Mars of Euromonitor International....
Powers to raise the legal age for buying alcohol in shops in Scotland may be handed to local authorities, in order to side-step opposition in Parliament, insiders believe....
MPs for Scotland's ruling national party have found themselves isolated in the country's Parliament, over plans to raise the legal age for buying alcohol in shops to 21....
Supplies of flavoured malt beverages to Utah may cease, following new state laws restricting access to the drinks, Diageo and other drinks firms have said....
Acquisitions and growth in branded spirits have helped Russian alcohol firm Synergy to a 55% revenue rise in the first half of 2008, the group has said....
Bordeaux's mayor has written to France's prime minister demanding an end to the current ban on internet wine publicity for the sake of the EUR11bn industry....
- Diageo's Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Diageo's FY performance by region - Focus
- Wine consumption and its health effects
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Time to take stock of Constellation's Corona
- SABMiller puts brakes on A-B InBev integration
- Diageo sets sights on alcohol-alternative trends
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- AB InBev seeks single buyer for European beers
- Gruppo Campari trials Negroni pre-mix
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends