CHILE: Cono Sur buys Fairtrade wine producer
Viña Cono Sur, a subsidiary of wine group Concha y Toro, has bought Chile's leading producer of Fairtrade certified wine, Viña Los Robles.
From the 2009 vintage, Cono Sur intends to integrate the distribution of the Los Robles brand into its UK operation, Concha y Toro UK, the group said today (14 November). A fee for the deal was not disclosed.
Sales of Fairtrade wine in the UK are expected to grow by 46% this year, it was revealed at this week's third annual Fairtrade Wine Competition in London.
Viña Cono Sur is well-known for its commitment to the environment. It claims to be Chile's leading organic wine firm, producing 1.3m hectolitres per year, and has also became carbon neutral in 2007, as certified by the CarbonNeutral Company.
General manager Adolfo Hurtado said: "We will be investing in Los Robles, to develop the Fairtrade business and we are committed to ensuring that all its important social programmes grow and prosper."
Chilean wine firm Concha y Toro has reported net sales up by more than 12% in the first quarter of 2009, driven by strong growth in exports to the US....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Vina Concha y Toro has secured a national distribution deal in its home market of Chile with Diageo's unit in the country, according to local reports....
Chilean wine producer Concha y Toro, has unveiled a new look for its Sunrise brand in the UK market....
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research