US: Congress approves Central American trade deal
The United States' Distilled Spirits Council has congratulated the US Congress for approving the Dominican Republic-Central American Free Trade Agreement (DR-CAFTA) for opening central American markets to USA spirit exports.
Central American countries (Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua) and the Dominican Republic will immediately abolish tariffs on US-produced whiskey and gin.
Honduras will immediately eliminate its 15% tariff on liqueurs, and the Dominicans will scrap duties on American whiskies, specifically Bourbon and Tennessee Whiskey.
Other spirits tariffs will disappear over 15 years.
The rum market may be dominated by white rum - and by one brand in particular - but Larry Watson, managing director, distribution division, at Jamaican rum producer, J Wray & Nephew, believes there is...
Pernod Ricard's £7.4 billion takeover of Allied Domecq is the biggest drinks deal since the Seagram sell-off, in which it also played a part, and means the acquisitive French conglomerate will double ...
Flavoured vodkas have been a major success story in the US where they have prospered on the back of strong sector growth and premiumisation. With European markets also showing consistent growth and so...
Hayman Distillers is launching a sampling campaign for its gin liqueur, Hayman's 1820....
Driven on by what the company called a "remarkable start of year" for its Asia/ Rest of World business, Pernod Ricard today announced that its first quarter wine and spirit net sales had increase 7% o...
Spirits firm Allied Domecq has agreed to a takeover bid from smaller rival Pernod Ricard, subject to agreement from Allied shareholders....
Pernod Ricard has confirmed that it will make an offer for Allied Domecq this week, according to yesterday's press reports....
Diageo is to launch a national advertising campaign for its gin band Tanqueray in the US....
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Focus - The Prosecco shortage that isn't
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Carlsberg cuts 180 staff
- Suntory to buy Japan Tobacco beverage unit
- Mixto Tequila poised for "golden age"
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review