CHILE/US: Concha y Toro completes Fetzer Vineyards buy
Concha y Toro to expand global presence with Fetzer Vineyards
The transaction, which closed at the end of last week, represents Concha y Toro's biggest acquisition to date, handing the group an important foothold in California's wine country and, in Fetzer, one of the top ten wine brands on the US market by volume.
The combined annual volume sales of acquired wine brands, including Fetzer, Fiver Rivers and Bonterra, is 3.1m cases. In 2010, Fetzer Vineyards achieved net sales of $156m.
In late February, following the announcement of the deal, Concha y Toro's CEO, Eduardo Gilisasti, said: "We believe that this transaction opens additional growth opportunities globally, as well as in the American market."
The move also leaves Brown-Forman clear to concentrate on its core spirits business, including Jack Daniel's and Finlandia vodka. The group will keep the super-premium Sonoma-Cutrer wine brand, as well as its long-term agency relationship with Korbel California Champagnes.
For market reaction to the deal, click here.
A new report incorporating the IWSR's spirits rankings and a just-drinks readership survey confirms Johnnie Walker's status as the undisputed global brand leader in the spirits sector but also has som...
The global wine industry remains highly fragmented. In a recent Euromonitor International global briefing, entitled 'How Wine Companies Can Become Global', Jeremy Cunnington looked at why, and whether...
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- A Keeper of the Quaich writes - Editor's Viewpoint
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends