FRANCE: Companies face gender law in the boardroom
Women should hold half of boardroom positions at French companies listed on the Paris Euronext stock exchange by 2015, according to a bill submitted this week to members of France's National Assembly - the lower house in the French Parliament.
Jean-François Copé, president of the UMP party, the majority party and also the political party of French president Nicolas Sarkozy, has proposed the law to improve gender equality in business.
Only around one in ten of boardroom positions in France's top 40 publicly listed companies are currently held by women, Copé said.
If passed and sanctioned by Sarkozy, a law on gender equality in boardrooms could be phased in so that 20% of seats were occupied by women within 18 months.
Pernod Ricard currently has two women on its 14-strong board of directors. Remy Cointreau has only one woman, although that is group chairperson Dominique Hériard Dubreuil.
A spokesperson for Pernod told just-drinks today (3 December): "It is difficult for us to express an opinion on this matter to the extent that for the moment it is only a proposed parliamentary law submitted by the UMP and not by the Government itself.
"We have no further information on the final text of this proposal or the position that will be adopted by the Government at the time of any future discussion."
Gruppo Campari's first quarter results have added some blossom to those oft-cited green shoots of recovery....
Pernod Ricard is set to sell off more non-core drinks brands, including Pernod pastis, according to reports....
- Is Diageo on the Brink of a Brain Drain?
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q3 & YTD
- Pernod Ricard unveils Havana Club ad campaign
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Global Tequila market hits new highs in 2014
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets