EU: Commissioner calls for wine labelling shake-up
European Union (EU) Agriculture Commissioner Mariann Fischer Boel has called for EU table wines to be labelled with their grape variety and vintage year, abolishing a restriction that reserves such information for appellation wines.
Speaking to the Intervitis Interfructa Conference, Stuttgart, Germany, yesterday (23 April), the commissioner said: "This rule only ties down the marketing efforts for some of our producers."
Under planned EU wine-market reforms, Fischer Boel also called for EU winemakers to use OIV (International Organisation of Wine and Vine)-approved wine-making methods. However, she accepted the Commission could retain the right to block certain practices for the EU and for member states regarding their own national wine sectors.
On the controversial issue of scrapping must aid, used widely in southern Europe to boost alcohol content, the commissioner signalled she backed a parallel scrapping of chaptalisation (adding sugar) in northern Europe.
Wine market reform entailed accepting "uncomfortable compromises", she warned.
News this week that SABMiller and Molson Coors are to team up in the US beer market may have caught the industry by surprise, but the logic is compelling. As Olly Wehring reports, not only can the dea...
Altia Corporation is the latest name to be linked with the potential sale of Vin & Sprit, according to reports....
Sinergia is looking to release a stake in the company in an IPO in Russia....
Sainsburys has been banned from selling strong lager, beer and cider at one of its London stores....
People living in popular regions of the UK are just as likely to unwittingly consume too much alcohol as binge drinkers, according to research commissioned by the Department of Health....
Vinmonopolet has posted a slide in sales for the month of September....
Alcohol consumption in the UK has dropped for the second consecutive year, according to industry figures....
Rum producers from French overseas departments (counties) have been given a 50% tax break on excise duty charged on sales within mainland France, stretching until December 2012....
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- A-B InBev's Global Presence - just The Facts
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- A-B InBev in China - just the Facts
- Diageo readies "not quite as sincere" Scotch
- Craft more about stories than M&A for Diageo
- The Glenlivet leapfrogs Glenfiddich
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- “New normal” sees Pernod target premium in China
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Vodka Market 2015-2019