EU: Commission backs alcohol price rises
The European Spirits Organisation (CEPS) has warned the European Commission not to push EU member states into raising alcohol prices to control problem drinking.
Its comments follow the release of a Commission report last week, which concluded the "affordability of alcohol does impact on levels of harmful and hazardous alcohol consumption".
"It makes sense for policymakers to consider…measures affecting the price of alcohol…to help curb this phenomenon," it said.
CEPS scientific officer Gregor Zwirn told just-drinks today (17 April) that higher prices would least affect the two consumer groups most involved in problem drinking: young people and heavy drinkers.
Instead, CEPS suggests long-term education policies, starting at a young age, to tackle cultural forces encouraging alcohol misuse: "We need to make people aware of the risks and change their attitude: getting pissed is not so cool," said Zwirn.
The future looks bright for wines with a lower alcohol content in the UK, if only someone could decide on what to call them....
The economic downturn has impacted all consumer spending, and sales of soft drinks are no exception. But ready-to-drink tea is well positioned to be fairly resilient in this environment, due to its na...
The second conference on alcohol-related harm convened by the Swedish Presidency of the EU included a large representation of NGOs opposed to self-regulation as a way of tackling alcohol-related harm....
The call last week by the British Medical Association (BMA) for an outright ban on alcohol advertising appeared to have little support in political circles or the media. Most crucially for the industr...
The UK Government is slimming down its proposal to introduce a mandatory code of practice for alcoholic drinks sales, just-drinks can confirm....
Diageo has confirmed a shake-up of its executive team in North America, and the appointment of a global chief for its Tequila portfolio....
The UK Government's advisory body on medical treatment has recommended the introduction of a minimum price for alcohol as a means of combating "hazardous and harmful drinking"....
A ruling by the Portman Group's complaints panel in the UK has thrown the future of test-tube drink producers into doubt....
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo rolls out vegan Baileys Almande Almondmilk
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends