EU: Commission attacks India's spirits tax
A European Commission report has found "blatant violations" of WTO trade obligations in India's tax regime on imported spirits and wines.
The UK's Scotch Whisky Association praised the report, in which the EU threatened to start legal proceedings against India at the WTO in Geneva should the country not move to "rapidly abolish" its duty arrangements on imported spirits.
The SWA has been a fierce critic of India's duty system, where a tax of up to 550% can be levied on a bottle of Scotch.
SWA chief executive Gavin Hewitt said today (7 August): "The Commission's report is both comprehensive and highly critical of India's discriminatory duty regime for imported spirits. The EU has identified a number of clear violations of WTO rules, sending a strong message to India that it must reform its fiscal regime at the earliest opportunity."
Hewitt said that changes to India's tax regime would create a "fair, level playing field for international producers." Spirit brands produced in India are imported into the EU tariff free.
The Indian government has indicated to the EU that the country needs to reform its tariff regime on imported spirits and wine, just-drinks understands....
European politicians have backed plans to tighten EU regulations surrounding Scotch whisky....
The Scotch Whisky Association has lost its trademark fight over a Canadian whisky....
The Scotch Whisky Association has launched a consumer website....
European Union officials are in New Delhi today (20 December) in an attempt to broker a deal with the Indian government over the country's tariff regime....
The Scotch Whisky Association has urged Canada's trademark authorities to block a local distiller from registering the Glen Breton trademark....
The European Commission has launched formal World Trade Organisation (WTO) disputes proceedings with Canada over a discriminatory tax break for Canadian wine and beer producers....
China has overtaken France in Cognac consumption, according to recent figures....
- Job cuts not the whole story at AB InBev - Comment
- Diageo's smart Seedlip sustainability move
- Pernod Ricard Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Brown-Forman's Q1 performance by region, brand
- Why Vietnam is the next beer battleground
- CEO Paul Schaafsma set to leave Accolade Wines
- AB InBev to cull 5,500 jobs after SABMiller buy
- ASA bans Diageo's Captain Morgan UK ad
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- Heineken unveils new mid-strength lager Heineken 3
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Staying in the Mix: The Global Concentrates Market in 2016