US: Colorado tops US beer production table
Colorado has officially become the largest beer producing state in the US, according to a recent study.
The Beer Institute said yesterday (27 September) that Colorado produced over 23.3m barrels, or 724.5m gallons, of beer in 2006, making it the leading state in terms of production.
Data also indicated that the beer industry supports Colorado's economy, with brewers, beer importers, beer distributors, brewer suppliers and retailers accounting for 67,918 jobs and contributing US$12.4bn annually to the state's economy.
US senator Ken Salazar said: "The beer industry has been a positive force in our state for many years, providing a number of important economic benefits including good jobs and a steady source of revenue for our local communities."
Colorado governor Bill Ritter added: "Colorado breweries are also increasingly using and producing renewable energy, which is good for the industry, good for the environment, and good for developing more home-grown sources of energy."
Colorado, home to industry trade groups such as the Brewers Association, which has represented small brewers in the US since 1942, also hosts an annual 'Great American Beer Festival' in Denver.
Sectors: Beer & cider
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Constellation and Ballast Point's "sticker shock"
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Diageo Australia appoints commercial head
- A-B InBev to "kick the tyres" at Coca-Cola
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Global Wine Market: News and Events September 2015