US: Colombian gov't gets okay to chase Diageo, Pernod
The two drinks giants were notified yesterday (19 June) that the Government has been given the go-ahead to pursue the lawsuit by US District Judge Nicholas Garaufis. The case concerns allegations that Pernod and Diageo illegally imported spirits via Colombian companies that launder drug money.
When contacted by just-drinks today, a spokesperson for Pernod said: "We are currently reviewing Judge Garaufis' comments with our lawyers.
"Obviously, we intend to defend our position vigorously," the spokesperson added. A spokesperson for Diageo echoed the comments, saying that the company is "reviewing and considering the court's decision in detail".
In 2004, the Colombian government sued, alleging that the defendants had competed unfairly with government-owned businesses in the production and distribution of liquors by selling their products into illegal channels and receiving payments from companies who deal in laundered funds.
A pre-trial hearing has been set for 10 July.
Rising raw material costs have been a feature of numerous companies' results over the past few months. As Jessica Harvey writes, some companies have been able to bolster themselves against this trend ...
Carlsberg has admitted that it is "considering" its position on the pending auction of Vin & Sprit....
Diageo has hit back at criticism that its responsible drinking campaign, currently running on UK television, is actually glamourising excessive drinking....
Diageo has unveiled an extension of its Bushmills Irish whiskey stable, to coincide with the first global advertising campiagn for the brand....
Diageo North America is offering a special gift option for the Johnnie Walker Blue Label ultra-premium Scotch whisky brand, which will allow consumers to have a custom engraving on the bottles....
The Swedish government has decided to sell Vin & Sprit by auction, with cash appearing to be the deciding factor....
Pernod Ricard has kept quiet over speculation that it plans to buy a Ukrainian vodka brand....
Pernod Ricard has unveiled three additions to its Pinot Grigio wine portfolio in the US....
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- How soft drinks can exploit alcohol's loss
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- Diageo job cut figures "likely overstated"
- Diageo investment paying off for Captain Morgan
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends