UK: Cold hot drinks sales boom helps steady overall market
Lipton Ice Tea is market leader among the products helping fuel the cold hot drinks sub-category
Volume sales of cold hot drinks, such as Lipton Ice Tea, rose by 24% in the UK last year, making it the fastest-growing sub-category in the country's soft drinks sector, a new report has revealed.
The Britvic Soft Drinks report 2012, released on Friday (March 16), showed the value of the sub-category jumped by 45% in 2011. Overall, the UK soft drinks market rose in value by 4% last year, but volumes stayed flat with an increase of just 1%, the report found.
Reflecting trends in the alcohol market, soft drinks growth was fuelled by the take-home sector as the on-trade struggled.
Sales in the take-home sector grew 7% by value to GBP7bn, with volumes increasing 1%. However, in the on-trade value fell 1% to GBP2.7bn as volumes fell 4%.
Murray Harris, Britvic's customer management director, said: “Consumers continued to face an extremely tough time in 2011, meaning they were careful with their spending and often opted for ‘big nights in’ at home.”
Pepsi was the number one brand in the on-trade with 8% value growth, followed by Coca-Cola with 11% value growth, the report said.
The report, based on data supplied by Nilesen and CGA, also found that online sales rose by 12%.
Richard Corbett has some encouraging words for Britvic, and that's something the company will warmly welcome right now....
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part II: Beer & Cider
- just the Ten - Top News Stories of 2014
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018